building a dredge...sluice question

Do-It-Yourself building projects and instructions

Moderators: russau, Leonard

Re: building a dredge...sluice question

Postby n.h.gold » Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:40 pm

Nice looking high banker! I am sticking with my 2 level design.. I read a couple of studies /Carlson/poling/...and have attempted to follow their conclusions... The dredge seems to have plenty of suck..still a 2 inch....seems to recover a verity of lead sizes,shapes well..I have spent 6-7 hours in the brook behind my house and found virtually nothing..but...did not hit clay or bedrock either...l do feel comfortable that I can fix what might go wrong in the field now..(will pack a roll of duct tape) ect.
Next fri-sun there is a group dig on a gold bearing river (for n.h.) that I am trying to go to..sure would be nice to see some color....my 12 year old daughter really likes running the nozzle. Great fun and thanks for all the help.
n.h.gold

Postby Gold Seeker » Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:48 pm

N.H. Gold, I just thought you might like to see this, a fellow over on the GPAA forum posted his latest cleanup from New Hampshire, I don't now where he found this, but his location listed in his profile is central New Hampshire, he didn't post a weight of the nugget, but said "The nugget is a little smaller than a dime and over an 1/8" thick!".

http://www.goldprospectors.org/forum/fo ... shire-gold

Hopefully you'll run into one similar, good luck!!!

Skip
Attachments
nugget.jpg
nugget.jpg (25.92 KiB) Viewed 9269 times
gold_pan.jpg
gold_pan.jpg (36.49 KiB) Viewed 9269 times
Skip P.

God, Family, Friends, and Gold!!!
Gold Seeker

Postby n.h.gold » Sat Aug 17, 2013 3:32 am

Hi folks..well I just finished and tested a 3inch jet log..what a huge difference in the amount of material you can suck up! The big hold up on building the bigger jet was finding some inexpensive 3in. Hose. Found some clear flow hose for 4 dollars a foot from a local supplier..they also have 4 in. For 8a foot..I will build a 4 inch jet next week. I am going to try to figure how to post on utube to show folks how easy and inexpensive these are to make...go get that gold!
Parker
n.h.gold

Postby polekaat » Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:12 am

here's a chart to show you how much capacity each suction hose diameter will move compared to other sizes. i.e. a 3" will move 2.7 times what a 2" will and a 4" will move 2 times what a 3" will and 5.3 times what a 2" will.

polekaat

Postby n.h.gold » Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:52 am

I am going to have to get some 4 inch this week....i really like the massive increase in volume up the hose from 2 to 3 inch,,i cant wait to try a 4! do you folks neck down the house at the intake end, for example the nozzle on the intake of your hose is necked down to 3.5" instead of 4 inches to reduce rock jams? It is nice to be able to see the jam inside this new clear flow hose,,but less of them would be nice..also with a Keene p-180 pump how long a hose would you run? Or is length not a huge factor?
Thanks,parker
n.h.gold

Postby russau » Sun Aug 18, 2013 3:34 am

i run a 20 foot hose on my 4 inch dredge.BUT the shorter your hose,the less work is needed from your pump to push that material up to the sluice.thus possibly less plugups!
russau

Postby golden optimist » Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:00 am

The Keene swivel nozzle is necked down to 3 1/8". I ringed mine down to 3" because thats what Wyoming wanted. They've never checked it though. I run about a 22 foot 4" hose on my dredge.
Leonard
golden optimist
Site Admin

Postby Hoser John » Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:15 am

Chart doesn't include psi as you can use a 5 -5.5 -6.5 hp and up as such engines can each utilize a different pump so not accurate as length and resultant mass to be moved is also yet many other predicating factors.Friction,solid vs soft walled pipe makes a huge difference hand in hand with angles as a 45-90 and other angles all help to slow the flows through loss of velocity. Pi=3.14 X radius squared is the formula for surface area utilized for surface area of round objects. John
Hoser John

Previous

Return to DIY