Do-It-Yourself building projects and instructions

Moderators: russau, Leonard

Re: WINCH BUILD "2010"

Postby russau » Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:38 am

i like it!!
russau

Postby russau » Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:07 pm

the trouble is, is that if i made one of these, i couldnt pick it up muchless move it! but it sure looks nice!
russau

Postby CalGoldDredger » Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:33 pm

Ahhh..that is what the handles are for, Russ. Haven't got around to make a set for my new winch yet.
But with the handles two guys can carry it like a stretcher, preferably two "other" guys. :lol:
We try not to move it around much. Never said mining was easy.

I can pick it up without the motor but forget moving it by myself. Two guys, it is not so bad.
My next winch I am working on will be refined and smaller and much lighter, same potential although.

CalGoldDredger

Postby Gold Seeker » Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:48 pm

CalGoldDredger wrote:Ahhh..that is what the handles are for, Russ. Haven't got around to make a set for my new winch yet.
But with the handles two guys can carry it like a stretcher, preferably two "other" guys. :lol:
We try not to move it around much. Never said mining was easy.

I can pick it up without the motor but forget moving it by myself. Two guys, it is not so bad.
My next winch I am working on will be refined and smaller and much lighter, same potential although.

How about putting a similar setup on the bottom of one side with a wheel or two wheels and with the handles on the other top side it can be moved around like a wheel barrel by one person, of course "not" you!!! :lol: :lol:

Skip
Skip P.

God, Family, Friends, and Gold!!!
Gold Seeker

Postby CalGoldDredger » Thu Oct 07, 2010 3:20 pm

That would work great for flatter terrain but I would need to put brakes on the wheels. The places I go into if you tried wheels you would be picking up what pieces of your winch could be found all scattered on the creek bottom. :lol:

I actually thought about a light wheeled hand truck with brakes at one time, to at least get the heavies down in there.
CalGoldDredger

Postby Hoser John » Fri Oct 08, 2010 6:03 am

:o ooooooooooo dual inducted pj go ??? CGDJ GO!!!!!!!!!!!!John :mrgreen:
Hoser John

Final Weight

Postby CalGoldDredger » Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:19 am

Was out in the shop yesterday, nice and warm, cranked up the wood stove. Was messing around and decided to weigh this winch.

Winch W/O Cable or Motor....... 140#
Motor-Clutch-Chain................ 34#
Cable 125' 3/8" GAC W/Hook.... 33#

Total................................ 207#

Not bad considering how it was built with "severe duty" in mind. If I need to move a monster of a boulder, this would be the one to have.
This next winch I will try to keep to my dad's specs more closely and weight of no more than 130 pounds total.
CalGoldDredger

Postby russau » Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:06 pm

John, i was wondering if youd want to share the specs/diagram of your winch with us?? i just happen to have some sq. heavy walled tubing laying in a corner of my shop and might want to make one of the up for a winter project.what say you??
russau

Postby CalGoldDredger » Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:58 pm

I built this winch with that heavy walled tubing but really all that is needed was thin walled I was told by dad. That is what my dad used mostly on his, thin walled.

I would not have any problem sharing the plans and drawings with you, Russ, but they are in Adobe Illustrator and heck if I know how to convert it to a format to post here.
They are drawn up at full size not scaled down and are highly detailed and the file size is huge.
I will look into it and see what I can come up with. You would probably want the drawings of my latest winch with the refinements and such.

For drive specs, that is easy, 750:1 is a good starting point.
Just calculate back 1 revolution from the spool sprocket and calculate the sprocket transfers of that original revolution back to the gearbox intake shaft.

I picked my gearboxes first then calculated out my sprockets tooth counts accordingly.
I like using a 60:1 or 50:1 Gearbox and as rule of thumb try to get them with the output shaft of 1" diameter or more, usually then they are rated for some high torque output.
You can use some gearboxes with less of a ratio say 30:1 but in order to calculate out the final ratio to 750:1 the bigger sprockets will have to be considerably larger.
CalGoldDredger

Postby russau » Sun Dec 12, 2010 3:50 pm

thanks John, i thought maybe the plans were handy. sounds like a lot of work on your part! thats ok!
russau

PreviousNext

Return to DIY