WINCH BUILD "2010"

Do-It-Yourself building projects and instructions

Moderators: russau, Leonard

WINCH BUILD "2010"

Postby CalGoldDredger » Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:18 pm

One of my many projects this year is to fix myself up "A New Winch".
The winch I have been using needs to be retired it has been in service since the 70’s when my dad built it.
I have always been interested in building one up for myself. Let it begin.

This thread will be more of a documentation of my project rather than instructions to do as I do. :o
Winching is a dangerous deed and in building one that is safe for use there comes a very big risk. :twisted: :roll:
I figure this would be a good one to break in the DIY on the new Gold Dredger Forum.

I have spent considerable time in figuring, drawing up, and planning based off my old winch. I have carefully planned in its entirety.
This winch will be built with a 700:1 gear ratio, from my experience between 700-750 is a good overall ratio to pull the biggest “mossback” boulders that stand in your way of thoroughly dredging.

Please bear with me as I am in no rush to build, I am taking my time and making it right and sparing no expence.
As I progress I will make new posts and share some picture of the process.
Goal will be to have her done and pullin’ boulders by this time next year if all goes well and finances allow.

This first post will show some of the key components and parts that I have been gathering for the last few months.
So far I have gathered most of the inner components - a gearbox, shafts, sprockets, roller chains, bearings and what not. Also a few new tools for the old shop. :D :D :D
My next step will be to find a reputable machine shop and have them start work on the shafts.

Enjoy!
John

The Gearbox one of the most, if not the most important component. This one is a heavy duty unit has a 60:1 gear ratio a ¾” input & 1 1/8” output shaft.

Splined 1 3/8” Shaft & Coupler. This will be machined and made into the center shaft or what I call the engagement shaft.

Various #40 and #50 drive sprockets.

CalGoldDredger

Re: WINCH BUILD "2010"

Postby bill-costa rica » Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:10 am

john
great idea !!! i need a winch badly and would love to build my own.... i will be following your progress and printing out everything.

bill-cr
bill-costa rica

Postby russau » Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:56 am

John id suggest useing 4130 chrome molly square tubeing for your frame. its lighter and stronger than steel. yes its more expensive and you probly would want to TIG weld it together ,but strength and lightness got to be a priority! these units are heavy enough to begin with! come on over to my house and ill weld it up for you for free! you do the cutting and fitting!ill supply the beer!
Last edited by russau on Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
russau

Postby bill-costa rica » Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:01 am

russ
did you buy a tig ?

bill-cr
bill-costa rica

Postby russau » Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:11 am

so nuf did! Miller SD180. square wave technology,it has the finger tip controller and the foot peddel controller. the only problem between it and the newer SD200 is ($$$$$$$$)and that the SD200 goes down to 10 amps and mine goes to 20 amps on the output. but i dont see any time ill be welding anythin that thin to use that low of amps. using my old Lincoln ac/dc welder,as a water cooled tig welder went to 30 amps output on dc and i needed lower for tigging stainless steel tubes.and the Lincoln didnt have the high frequancy for doing aluminum.
russau

Postby CalGoldDredger » Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:33 pm

Russ
I will keep the chromemolly/TIG in mind for the future.
I am just going to keep it simple and go with A36,1018,1144 steel and MIG/FCAW process.
As you can see with the parts I chose above, the weight is not as big of a concern as overall power and strength. :twisted:

John
CalGoldDredger

Spool

Postby CalGoldDredger » Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:38 pm

This project is going to take a little time on my part. NO RUSH ;)
What I want is not just any winch, I have had plenty of those. :roll:
I want a Extra Heavy Duty, can I emphasize the word "Heavy" enough. I am trying to be somewhat conscious about the weight, maybe. :lol:
I have busted many a winches and want one that is "John Proof" and one that I can say I built up myself. :)

Now I am trying to figure out steel grades, choices choices, I have come up with 4140 CR for the spool shaft and the pipe is standard DOM 1/4" wall.

Here are some pictures of the parts for the spool assembly. Simple yet strong. Next Needs to be sent out to be Welded (Deep Strong Welds).

JOHN
CalGoldDredger

Postby russau » Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:22 am

John this winch looks like its going tobe a real nice, hi quality winch! you maybe ought to draw up some detailed plans with the thought of selling them?? just a thought!
russau

Postby Hoser John » Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:02 am

:lol: NEVER AND I MEAN NEVER EVER-underestimate the tenacity/ingenuity(sp) and testiculiar fortitude of a miner to attack a astoundingly complex mechanism----and make it a whole lot better-you guys rock and sharing your brains with all is ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC- R_E_S_P_E_C_T-John
Hoser John

Postby CalGoldDredger » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:48 am

Much Thanks Guys

Nah Russ I don't want to mine the miners like the rest, I rather be helpful than greedy.

I do have highly detailed plans, just about egineering CAD quality, I used Adobe Illustrator to draw it up and got it all figured out. Image
CalGoldDredger

Next

Return to DIY