Another project starting

Do-It-Yourself building projects and instructions

Moderators: russau, Leonard

Another project starting

Postby russau » Sun May 22, 2016 11:37 am

Well if I don't have enough todo Im starting another project! Im building MY version of a 5 inch subbie dredge. Im gathering parts now and have drawn up my plans of what I think will save fine gold. I know subbies (especially 5 inchers) are known for loseing fine gold BUT I think I can make it work to save it. I also know many MUCH MORE SMARTER people than me have given it a try. I also hope that I see something that they missed or didn't do correctly! Im making it with inflateable pontoons (35 in long by 8 inchs in dia.)(Ive got 2 sets of these pontoons AVA.if needed!) like the 2 inch dredge that I built and never got into the water (pictures are somewhere here) the frame will be 3/4 steel tubeing (for strength) and the 5 inch tube will be of 1/8 inch ABS sheet that Ill roll / glue / screw together. Ill also roll a piece of aluminum for connecting the 5 inch line to the ABS body of this. the lower trap will be of a fluidbed design and the water supply to it will be pulsed. the suction will be of a Dave Franks design (I bought his plans awhile back)and itll be placed at the exit of the main body of this so it wont stire up the already stratified material until after it has passed the small riffles in the main body. and after this "jet" Ill extend a rolled aluminum tube out roughly 40 inchs to increase the laminar flow and put a silt screen on it to help keep it from motor boating on me and to keep the slit down to a roar! This has been a collaboration effort from some friends (Zooka and others). This will probly be another device that I wont be able to use BUT may have to enlist some help moveing and using it. Im building this just to use in the Mississippi and the Missouri Rivers close to home! Itll be a fun build and something for this ole F.O.G. to do in the spare time and probly end up selling it at a loss like everything else! :roll: camo paint inspired by none ever than Mr. Hoser him self!
russau

Re: Another project starting

Postby mpgken » Tue Oct 04, 2016 3:26 pm

Hi Russau,
I also bought Daves plans. Can you tell me what is the air port for?
Thanks,
Ken
mpgken

Postby russau » Wed Oct 05, 2016 2:56 am

Good morning Ken and welcome to the site ! Air port?? In reference to what? Its early 4:55 AM and Ive only just started my 1st cup of Joe! :D
russau

Postby Hoser John » Wed Oct 05, 2016 6:42 am

I only use subies with a suction nozzle as the jet right at the box does a horrendous remix of gold/cobbles and all the stratification that happens going up the hose goes right out the window. To anyone who has not tried this-paint a half dozen lead sinkers red and feed to a nozzle and watch progress up the hose as the lead(lighter than gold) stays on the bottom to drop right out with a suction nozzle...jus' sayn' smaller recovery box needs help and a slightly different methodology-Tons a au 2 u 2 Russ- :D John
Hoser John

Postby mpgken » Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:45 am

Hi Russ,

Thank you for responding. You didn't need to get up so early to respond!

I did find an old thread showing a picture of your nozzle and you do not have the air valve on it.

Thanks,
Ken
mpgken

Postby russau » Thu Oct 06, 2016 2:28 am

YEP no air valve anymore!!! I sold that dredge last Fall and have since bought Leonard's 4 inch Keene dredge and gear. and the Rivers / streams are still flooding! what I need is a house boat to get up stream.
russau

Postby mpgken » Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:52 am

Wait a minute, flooding? Wow, I just got back from the Yukon and we had to call it a season because of all the rain. They normally get their rainy season in October but it rained all of Sept and made it very difficult. Looking forward to getting back there in the spring when the water is lower!

Maybe you can put an outboard motor on your dredge to get upstream!
mpgken

Postby russau » Fri Oct 07, 2016 2:34 am

Not with that kind of flow! The water levels have been high all year long now! To bad we cant pipe the excess water to the west coast for their drought!
russau

Postby Hoser John » Fri Oct 07, 2016 6:11 am

:( if only instead of being flushed out into the gulf...John PS... hear no evil(low tone mufflers) see no evil(see pic) and speak no evil (I don' need no stinkn' permits)
Attachments
what dredge hahaha.jpg
what dredge hahaha.jpg (16.05 KiB) Viewed 9216 times
Hoser John

Postby Hoser John » Fri Oct 07, 2016 6:46 am

kali dry but strong minds do prevail
Attachments
100_2231recirc camo.jpg
100_2231recirc camo.jpg (11.39 KiB) Viewed 9216 times
Hoser John

Next