yesterday...

Do-It-Yourself building projects and instructions

Moderators: russau, Leonard

yesterday...

Postby russau » Tue May 01, 2018 7:52 am

Yesterday I saw a pontoon boat (pontoons/frame / deck /and a new trailer ) for sale . the alumn. pontoons looked old and had lots of T.I.G. welded pin holes . I assume from water in pontoons and causing corrosion from the inside. I hadn't called about it BUT I'm thinking of a 8 inch dredge to go up the Missouri /Mississippi Rivers. What would be a fair price for this patchwork pontoon ? I'd probly set this up with a under water camera since the Rivers are real clouded and build a shelter on it to get out of the rain /sun and such. I'm going to need this problem worked out in detail before my wife see's me dragging this home and parking it in the rear driveway! :roll:
russau

Re: yesterday...

Postby russau » Wed May 02, 2018 3:00 am

I got ahold of the owner and the pontoons are old! and this was way over my limit for the pontoon and the trailer. Gonna pass on this one!
russau

Postby golden optimist » Wed May 02, 2018 7:01 am

Not going to Huck Finn it huh? At least that would have been easy once you got it on the river.
Leonard
golden optimist
Site Admin

Postby russau » Wed May 02, 2018 7:33 am

Leonard I guess I'm having pipe dreams on this one! BUT I know I could build one cheaper & lighter than that one ! Plus if I would use heavy plastic barrels for floats and one took a hit , I could replace it easily and cheaper. Plus I'm afraid the alum pontoons on the one I saw would pop more holes in it down the stream when I'm least expecting it ! Up the stream without any floatation or paddle !
russau

Postby micropedes1 » Tue May 22, 2018 10:23 am

Russ, I did just exactly what you are thinking of doing. Only, I took it to Alaska. You would be amazed at what those pontoons will withstand before they start to leak. But the barrels are more forgiving. Just make sure that the front ones are tapered like the ones below (made by Rotonics). Otherwise, you will not make much headway in swift water.

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o49/ ... floats.jpg
micropedes1

Return to DIY