Yet Another Winch 2011

Do-It-Yourself building projects and instructions

Moderators: russau, Leonard

Yet Another Winch 2011

Postby CalGoldDredger » Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:03 pm

Had such a great time building a winch this summer, have decided to build up yet another. Started to aquire the parts and drawing up the new plans.
Can never have too many wenches, oops, I mean winches.
I learned a few things building this one and will apply some refinements to the next.

I will slap a pcture or two when I get her done, probably won't be till late spring or so, plenty of time.

Here is another picture of the winch I built this summer. Very happy with it, one HEAVY pulling mother.

CalGoldDredger

Re: Yet Another Winch 2011

Postby russau » Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:08 pm

appropriet color! battelship gray!
russau

Postby CalGoldDredger » Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:19 pm

Huey Green, just a bad picture, due to fluorescent lighting I was told. :roll:

Here is a little bit better of a picture my daughter took after the paint was dried and I was ready to clearcoat, still doesn't do the color any justice.
I know you can throw it in the woods and it is the last thing that would stand out, good for concealing, appropriate for theese times. :?

CalGoldDredger

Postby Hoser John » Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:49 am

:D sweeet build,jus luv the color as in peekaboo I see you but NOT visaversa. And yes must agree with your location statement but WE ARE IN LL NOW :roll: John
Hoser John

Postby CalGoldDredger » Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:32 am

What da'ya' mean, Hoser. We have ourselves a little piece of heaven right here. Won't never leave it. :D :D :D
CalGoldDredger

Postby russau » Fri Nov 19, 2010 5:30 pm

really a nice job John!
russau

Postby ddmk6 » Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:17 pm

That is sweet!!!! Any idea what the line pull is?? What are you using for a gearbox? You did a bang up job on that baby. Thanks for sharing. :mrgreen:
ddmk6

Postby CalGoldDredger » Sat Nov 20, 2010 12:45 pm

Line pull is way more than the breaking strength of the 3/8” GAC, dads says it is upwards of 10 tons and the design has been put through the test over the years.
Some of the winches were built with larger heavier frame and spooled with 200’ of 1/2” cable. Obviously too heavy to be called portable.

Gearboxes are tricky, the more torque that can be generated the larger and heavier they are.
The gearbox ratio has not a thing to do with the rated torque and sometimes you have to make a compromise or a balance between the weight and at the same time the boulder pulling power.
Choose wisely the smaller gearboxes have smaller gears and will be easy to sprip out.

A working ratio from motor to the spool should be between 750-1000:1 when building a winch of this type. Choose your gearbox and sprockets according to the math.

An utmost respect for the unsane amount of pent up torque is a must and take it from there. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Never have we had any problems with the winches we built but one should not be so sure when it come to safety.

A True Story
My uncle back in his days made a bet that his winch would pull a massive boulder out of the gravel bar just so he could fill in his deep wide dredge hole, the thing was the size of a small cabin or maybe bigger.
Most guys said there was no way that would never happen.
So on the first attempt he hooked it all up and miners came from all around out of the wood to watch this mountain style entertainment.
He set the motor to wide open and set in waiting safely out of the way.
Well, the winch got into a hard pull and that a boulder began to move ever so slightly, then flash the winch shot like a bullet across the river smashin' into a many a pieces against the bedrock embankment.
My dad never will forget that sight. (200+ Pounds of steel flying and exploding into a million pieces)
The anchor chain which was double wrapped holding the winch had snapped.
Being he is our family, if you only knew what I meant, he went home and fixed up another winch that WOULD pull that boulder once and for all.
Matter of fact, he was down there the next day and was going to pull that there boulder. This time he used the biggest chains he could muster up and had been up all night fixing up a new winch.
The spectators all in place, the winch was rigged up again, he fired up the motor and set it to full throttle, then took cover.
The winch started its pulling and the motor started bogging down but no movement on the boulder. The suspense grew.
All of a sudden it began to jerk and shake; sure enough it was a movin' like molasses fresh out of the freezer. No one could believe their eyes.
That boulder came down with the loudest of rumbles that, later was told, the force of the impact could be heard and felt by miners miles away. And all the looker-ons, well, they got themselves a good bath that day. :D
It was the talk around many a campfires for years to come, still hear it from time to time. My dad will never forget it and he can tell of it far better than I have, I was to little to be a witness.
True story, a family one at that.
CalGoldDredger

Postby Hoser John » Sun Nov 21, 2010 6:50 am

Just come to Redding and meet 1 eyed Lannie or Indian Joe who held his guts in place with a towel for a loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooog ride to Redding ER and more staples and stiches than countable. Mechanical winches DEMAND respect and always err on the side a caution. Sweet stats and info CGD John and nuttn' but respect as feets a snow fly up here and now my RECLAIMANATOR is in a foot or two at least and them bears are NOT going to sleep. 4 raids on the hen house and down from 26 to 7 layers and that summabeach is a goner die!!!!!!!!!John :evil: :twisted:
Hoser John

Postby russau » Sun Nov 21, 2010 7:13 am

i always like reading Hosers comentary on anything! John, i still say you need to write a book on your experiences!
russau

Next

Return to DIY