neet way to get power to the camp site.

Do-It-Yourself building projects and instructions

Moderators: russau, Leonard

neet way to get power to the camp site.

Postby gremlin » Thu Nov 25, 2010 1:26 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dM0iIoWjCY&NR=1

looks like the guy built it out of old bike parts.
save a tree, eat a squirrel.
gremlin

Re: neet way to get power to the camp site.

Postby russau » Thu Nov 25, 2010 3:18 pm

alotta work just to see where you stumbel in after a night of cheers around the campfire!
russau

Postby CalGoldDredger » Thu Nov 25, 2010 3:20 pm

Nothing wrong with free lighting. Coooool. :)
Too bad not enough voltage and amperage to run the power tools or how bout the TV.
CalGoldDredger

Postby russau » Thu Nov 25, 2010 9:01 pm

john it looked as though it were a 12vdc system. ive seen these florescent lights that were 12vdc for cars. your right about enough power though! no regulator to maintain a even flow of current/voltage. but if a person was going tobe at the same location for long it may be nice to have. EZ enough to make!
russau

Postby Hoser John » Fri Nov 26, 2010 7:17 am

Just take a few minutes and take a looksee at the other contraptions producing electricity too. Couple a deep cycle batteries and a inverter and good to go.John
Hoser John

Postby gremlin » Fri Nov 26, 2010 12:46 pm

a big inverter you could run power tools. also if you tie in a easy to build wind mill you can have all the power you need when you need it. running a dule system you can power every thing no mater how low the water or wind. makes for a good emergancy power supply just in case.
http://www.windstuffnow.com/main/vawt.htm
add in a simple wind mill that can be made from scraps your all set. i like the vawts becouse there easy to make, low start up speeds, and less noise. the key to a good wind mill.

just knowing this stuff is out there and how too build it mite be a good thing.
gremlin

Postby CalGoldDredger » Fri Nov 26, 2010 8:14 pm

It be a mighty cool thing if you could run twin 6 HP electric single phase motors off this system. :lol:
Then you could have a real quiet type 6" dredge or how bout an electric motor for the winch.
All you would need next is to make it less visible like a large floating shell cover made up and formed to look like a massive boulder and some stream bottom camo on the hose. :twisted: :twisted:
If things don't go my way here in the end of December, I might be looking into something like this Quiet and Invisible. :roll:

If one was just wanting a light for the camp Northern Tools has a solar shed light for $10. Would work just fine, a charge in the daytime for a light at night. http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200396364_200396364
CalGoldDredger

Postby russau » Sat Nov 27, 2010 5:51 am

John, power consumption is 746 watts per horse power. so your talking roughly 8952 watts of power for the two universal motors. thats asking a lot from any solar or battery powered equipment. as far as a light for a room. i use one of the solar powered sidewalk lights inside of my lavish outhouse tent i use when out doing what i do! its just enough to see what you need to find when the need arises!
russau

Postby gremlin » Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:48 am

http://www.harborfreight.com/36-led-sol ... 98085.html

i use this on in the bath room. the solar cell acts as the light sencer. when the sun stops shining on it the light wil turn on when you move by it. takes a few days of full sun to charge the batterys. if you have a nicad charger it takes a night.
gremlin

Postby CalGoldDredger » Sat Nov 27, 2010 2:16 pm

Yep, anything that is FREE when you are living in the woods greatly helps out and is appreciated big time, especially when you are talking months rather than just days.
batteries, white gas, propane, food, gasoline, all can get kinda exspensive in the long run.
All there for us to use - wood, water, earth, game, and what not. Definately helps to keep the expense down when you can be resourceful with what you have around you. :D
CalGoldDredger

Next

Return to DIY