High Banker pump

Do-It-Yourself building projects and instructions

Moderators: russau, Leonard

High Banker pump

Postby foundit » Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:16 pm

I was wondering if I could get away with using a cheaper pump, like one from harbor freight for a high banker, it wont be for dredging just water flow. Thanks in advance.
foundit

Re: High Banker pump

Postby CalGoldDredger » Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:53 pm

Not nearly as much head pressure or GPM but have at it. Depending on which one you are looking at, should work for HB'r. Just remeber you get what you pay for.
The nice thing with a cheapy water pump you don't need to worry about loss if you can't pack it out or just choose to leave it for next time.
Now if you were to leave a Keene $2000 motor/water pump behind... :?
CalGoldDredger

Postby russau » Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:26 pm

yep theyll work if you dont have to pump it up hill very far(head pressure). but as John said,"you get what you pay for!"
russau

Postby foundit » Wed Dec 29, 2010 4:00 pm

I appreciate the feedback, I am now thinking of expanding my contraption to a trammel and using my dredge engine and/pump, I am thinking if I use large enough grade of PVC for the spray bar I might get away with it, it would be a real stubborn mule to pack remote, but the harder you work the harder you play...most times :D , I have10"x 8' of sluice, a 4" dredge that I can't use, and 4 claims I need/want/desire/have to work this spring, so if I'm gonna go scratch, maybe go trammel instead, assuming more material can be moved via trammel than HB, what do you guys think?
foundit

Postby Hoser John » Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:02 am

Highbanker has more capacity than a trommel which is a classifier(unless reverse helix kind) and must have a sluice for recovery. Both would require lots of water and good idea to stick with what ya got(keene pumps are good) already and keep them greenbacks in the bank where they belong-John
Hoser John

Postby foundit » Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:32 am

Thanks John, yeah I am going with the HB, unless I can find some good ideas on making one for reasonably cheaper I am going to get a Keene hopper and attach it to my 8' sluice, might be kinda tough packing that 6.5HP back into the canyon but like my Dad says, "If ya aint smart you gotta be tough" so it wont be to bad for me :)

Happy New Year to ya and all of the HWM's (Hard Working Miners)on this forum.
foundit

Postby CalGoldDredger » Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:47 pm

Just be glad your not packing a 18 Horse motor/pump into canyonlands. Just remember that hard packing builds good character. :D
Sorry to hear your leaving Cal, but wishing I was able to come to grips with doing the same. I will never leave Cal, at least not for all of the year. GOODLUCK.
CalGoldDredger

Postby foundit » Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:30 pm

I am not leaving without a fight,I mean, I fought well but had to succeed,... to the wife... :), but I will be living on my claims in Plumas Co. for at least a month or so every year. And I am gonna miss this State... :cry: ... but I wont miss the evnironutjobwhakotreehugginsheephumpncrackheadjerks who took my and yours dredging away... :evil:
foundit

Postby h20prospector » Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:38 pm

foundit wrote:I am not leaving without a fight,I mean, I fought well but had to succeed,... to the wife... :), but I will be living on my claims in Plumas Co. for at least a month or so every year. And I am gonna miss this State... :cry: ... but I wont miss the evnironutjobwhakotreehugginsheephumpncrackheadjerks who took my and yours dredging away... :evil:

Understand about leaving that great? state. I left California in 1964, and I've never returned, and don't plan to. It was messed up then, and I can only imagine how much worse it's gotten. My rights were slowly eroding then, and it's only worse, looking at all the posts I do. Between the Karuk indians (those at the top), Trout Unlimited, Sierra Club, etc., and all the other enviro nuts out there, one can get so mad they could spit. Sad thing is that none of the elected want or can't do anything to help us small time miners.
Retired AF Veteran - 26 years
LDMA/GPAA/GPOC/PLP member
Ice & fly fisherman

'If you don't stand for something, you will fall for everything.'

A government big enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have!
h20prospector

Postby Hoser John » Fri Dec 31, 2010 7:24 am

Just get a righteous ledge frame/shelf style of backpack and a good heavy duty walking stick and your good to go!! Just the mention of hauling 18hp p/e combos brings back my ache in my back from clear creek canyon haul over a mile--OUCH--but my god what a p/e combo!!!John
Hoser John

Next

Return to DIY