Building a Dredge

Do-It-Yourself building projects and instructions

Moderators: russau, Leonard

Re: Building a Dredge

Postby dickb » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:00 am

Here's a suggestion for you. Since you already have the pump the 2" beaver that Angus Mackirk sells might get you up and running on the cheap, then after you find some gold and fill your poke, you can pop for the larger 4". I believe the triple sluice 4" by Keene is a good dredge and will do well for you. But the small 2" will allow you to get into some tighter places that the 4" would be too large to get in to the creek.

http://www.angusmackirk.com/product_pages/dredges.html

Since your near Salt Lake, you can get into cali and get a good deal on a used one sombody wants to dump!

Go for it! :D

Dickb
77 Retired and Free
Eastern Iowa
dickb

Postby Disgruntled » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:13 pm

LMOA Russ yeah thats good with the little fake poo. could picture someones face :shock:

and Calgold what brand is the 6inch do ya know? i got a little extra money lol,.. might have to check into that one

and thanks for the link to the beaver, they got some pretty neat stuff,.

i guess ill hold off on building,. and see if i cant pick up a nice dredge for a good price. got plenty of time to build later
Disgruntled

Postby dickb » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:13 pm

Get your self a pan, classifier #4, snuffer bottle, gold vial and a practice tub. Then buy a few bags of cons and teach yourself to pan while it's cold. That will get you off to a good start when it warms up. Get a nice sunny day, sneek out a get a bucket of gravel and take it home to practice with. By the time it warms up you'll have a much better idea of what you like and what you'd like to own. Gotta crawl before you walk or run! :D

Dickb
77 Retired and Free
Eastern Iowa
dickb

Postby Disgruntled » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:36 pm

yeah ive shook a pan or two a good bit last year and have a couple times this winter with some "paydirt" lol,.. i still got along way until im a master panner for sure, but i have been pretty pleased with my panning ability now,. only thing i have a problem with still but can do,. is just really hard is to seperate the really eally fine flour gold, i always swash the pan a little to hard and blow it around,. just need more practice for that,.

ive ran a sluice for a bit last summer,. took me awhile to learn how to set it up properly as i had no advice, other then like the one paragraph quick start thing that came with it lol,. but once i got it somewhat figured out i did ok,. im sure i still lots most of what i threw in it out the end of it, was alot of fun, was good experience learning how to tell where i need to look for a little AU also,.

by far though,. the biggest thing holding me back though,. was everytime i went out and camped, my wife and a friend or so of hers went, and almost every single time i got to a spot i liked, got what i thought how the sluice should of been set up, and got about 20-30 minutes an hour tops of getting to play, the wife was calling me and wanting me to come back cause they "needed" something,.

this year if i go as much as i want,. im sure she will want to go alot also,. but, after the first phone call, if i get another, i think im gonna accidentally drop my phone in the water :lol: she'll be wondering how i manage to drop my phone in the water 3 weeks in a row,. worst case i figure she'll tell me to leave it at the house after a few phones
Disgruntled

Postby Hoser John » Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:25 am

Dont waste a cent on dredges as dead forevermore--John
Hoser John

Postby russau » Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:49 am

im going to keep at it untill someone blows the whistle to stop the game!
russau

Postby CalGoldDredger » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:29 am

If you are wanting to dredge better not put it off, do it now, right now. On Alaska.
13 seconds left on the game clock, Russ.
CalGoldDredger

Postby Disgruntled » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:12 pm

thought it was only cali that was having issues at the moment? cause of "the new 49rs" messing stuff up? and i aint worried bout them killing dredges. i dont see it happening.
Disgruntled

Postby Hoser John » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:38 am

;) In ignorance they say there is bliss---but only a temporary condition....then reality strikes...and the matter is faaaaaaaar worse :x
Hoser John

Postby russau » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:56 am

this is a current issue that IS comeing to all the states eventually. thanks to the gubermint agencies and your wacoenviromentalists. the FS and the COE will be putting the hammer down.get involved and know what going on!these gubermint agencies are being told what todo by non-elected wacoenviromentalists that backed o and the damocrap party! the other partys aint worth a heck either!and we vote them in and pay their salary!???? why???
russau

PreviousNext

Return to DIY