Well Mat how is the new Casa ??
russau

Re: Home sweet home!

Postby Hoser John » Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:06 am

Hope you all are nice, n' cool and DRY. All the best always-John
Hoser John

Postby dickb » Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:25 am

Not a bad idea moving if you feel that Florida will be a reef in 10 years.

Hope the move went well Connie and Matt.

Dickb
77 Retired and Free
Eastern Iowa
dickb

Postby Matt Mattson » Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:59 am

We're still in the process since the house in Fl hasn't sold and furniture, etc. (including a 3" Proline) will be up for auction soon. Things have really been changing in Florida: 1,000 a day come to the state and stay, all that requires infrastructure and higher and higher taxes. Trees and farmland is bulldozed in favor of shopping centers, planned cities, widened and new roads (asphalt in Fl.). Summer used to be a time when FL was practically abandoned, you could do what you wanted, winter was packed with people. Summer looks like Winter now. One thing Rush Limbaugh is all wet about is sea rise. I believe it is because of the increased sun activity, but it makes no difference what it's caused by, we see it. We used to get water in the streets about every 30 years, now it's every 3 -6 months, and if a bad hit, the ground level homes get converted from residents to rentals in a hurry. Our crime rate went from green to red, they'll even steal your oil change pan - so it's time to move . . .

Old: 350,000 in the immediate area.
New: 5,500 in the whole county (and it's a big one)
Old: $2800 tax on 85 feet of waterfront (150X85 foot lot
New: $175 tax on 1/2 acre, 470 feet of waterfront

I could go on and on, but the biggest shock is this: they take personal checks here . . . You pump - and then pay! It's the Florida I remember, just had to go to Alabama to get back there.
Matt Mattson

Postby Hoser John » Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:50 am

Times they are a changing, like the weather. Wish you great folks all the best of luck-John
Hoser John

Postby russau » Sat Jul 29, 2017 3:20 am

Mat I've seen this also here in Misery! As the economy get worse the crime rate also rises! The police here keep saying that it's safe to go down town St. Louis BUT EVERY day I hear reports of drive by shootings and the murder rate raises every day! The Metro link buss / trains of St. Louis aren't any better! Gangs or just jerks shoot at the trains as they go by and same for cars / buss's on the highways. I wanted to move to Colorado year's BACK WHEN I RETIRED but that's when the real-estate dropped big time , and now here I sit ,alone and broken hearted.............. :roll: I cant go anywhere and buy a home as nice as mine is right now and be paid for like we have here . Everything is covered by C.C.T.V. and is chained and locked down , But still needs to be watched . There isn't a minuet that goes by that I'm not carrying some sort of protection for what inevitably is going to happen close to me and my family! Stay vigilant and aware of your surroundings at all times! :roll:
russau

Postby Hoser John » Sat Jul 29, 2017 6:09 am

Same same here as the walking dead rob,rape and pillage anything and everything...sic sic sic-John
Hoser John

Postby Matt Mattson » Sat Jul 29, 2017 3:32 pm

russau wrote:Mat I've seen this also here in Misery! As the economy get worse the crime rate also rises! The police here keep saying that it's safe to go down town St. Louis BUT EVERY day I hear reports of drive by shootings and the murder rate raises every day! The Metro link buss / trains of St. Louis aren't any better! Gangs or just jerks shoot at the trains as they go by and same for cars / buss's on the highways. I wanted to move to Colorado year's BACK WHEN I RETIRED but that's when the real-estate dropped big time , and now here I sit ,alone and broken hearted.............. :roll: I cant go anywhere and buy a home as nice as mine is right now and be paid for like we have here . Everything is covered by C.C.T.V. and is chained and locked down , But still needs to be watched . There isn't a minuet that goes by that I'm not carrying some sort of protection for what inevitably is going to happen close to me and my family! Stay vigilant and aware of your surroundings at all times! :roll:

I hear you . . . (John too) Pretty much going to hell in a hand basket all over - but - get out far enough in farm country and it can be better. We really just lucked out here. The neighbors watch, etc., like it used to be. As far as values go, sometimes you just do what you have to. I sure didn't want to be the last person in HB to figure out I needed to move. So we did it anyway.
Matt Mattson

Return to Matt's Treasure Hunting