FINDING GOLD MOVIES

Treasure Hunting

Moderators: russau, Leonard, Matt Mattson

Re: FINDING GOLD MOVIES

Postby Matt Mattson » Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:58 am

Matt Mattson

Postby russau » Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:25 am

Mat this past weekend i spent the day on the Mississippi River banks playing with my 2 inch proline dredge. it was a beautiful day so i took a walk downstream from where i was and found a lot of stones that looked just like the opals you showed on this video. are the and stones that i maybe confussing these with? i picked up a bunch of them cause they were right on the surface of the shoreline.all are translucent,and the colors varied like yours.i only picked up the bigger stones and left a ton of smaller stones.maybe i lucked out and maybe i hauled some leaverite to the shop.....
russau

Postby Matt Mattson » Tue Oct 18, 2011 3:18 pm

russau wrote:Mat this past weekend i spent the day on the Mississippi River banks playing with my 2 inch proline dredge. it was a beautiful day so i took a walk downstream from where i was and found a lot of stones that looked just like the opals you showed on this video. are the and stones that i maybe confussing these with? i picked up a bunch of them cause they were right on the surface of the shoreline.all are translucent,and the colors varied like yours.i only picked up the bigger stones and left a ton of smaller stones.maybe i lucked out and maybe i hauled some leaverite to the shop.....

I sure wouldn't rule anything out - they could be. If there can be a kimberlite pipe in Arkansas there could sure be anything anywhere. Some possible clones would be the various shades of quartz (rose, etc.). A spectroscope is a real handy tool for giving a definite answer (about $250).
Matt Mattson

Postby placerau » Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:39 pm

Matt,

Darned if I don't really enjoy watching your video's. You have a certain knack for doing these, and for that you should be highly commended. I'm sure that ( I would hope ) a lot of people have used you information from the videos. Whether they are newbies, or experienced dredgers, have have given and explained very valuable information, and easy to understand. Keep up the good work ( and personnel fun ) and post more videos. I sure wish I had the extra time that you have, as I would to travel in your shoes for awhile. I know your a busy guy doing all these wonderful things, and like Robert Crump said..." Keep On Truckin."
Your Friend in Gold Mining....... John

Artificial Intelligence Is No Match For Natural Stupidity

God Bless Willie Nelson
placerau

Postby Matt Mattson » Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:15 pm

placerau wrote:Matt,

Darned if I don't really enjoy watching your video's. You have a certain knack for doing these, and for that you should be highly commended. I'm sure that ( I would hope ) a lot of people have used you information from the videos. Whether they are newbies, or experienced dredgers, have have given and explained very valuable information, and easy to understand. Keep up the good work ( and personnel fun ) and post more videos. I sure wish I had the extra time that you have, as I would to travel in your shoes for awhile. I know your a busy guy doing all these wonderful things, and like Robert Crump said..." Keep On Truckin."

Thanks John, I appreciate that very much. I hope you too can get to the goldfields soon.
Matt Mattson

Postby Matt Mattson » Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:44 am

Matt Mattson

Postby golden optimist » Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:56 am

Good to see you and Connie out in the goldfields again. That little trommel setup looked neat! Should be just the thing for gemstones.
Leonard
golden optimist
Site Admin

Postby Gold Seeker » Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:47 pm

Matt,

Great video of ya'll working the GPAA Farm Claim :D 8-) , I have heard of a few people that have went there lately saying the claim is worked out and there's no gold there to speak of, well I see you and the Missus have proven them wrong and that they just don't know how to read the area and find the gold that is there!!! :mrgreen:

That being said I do know of others that have been working the Farm Claim lately and they have been finding decent gold as well, I'm pretty sure that the dredge hole that Connie took that sample pan from is one of their holes.

Thanks for the video, I enjoyed it very much, as I do viewing all of your videos!!! :D

My all time favorite video of your's is the one about your "Hog" hunt as a youngman!!! :lol:

Skip
Skip P.

God, Family, Friends, and Gold!!!
Gold Seeker

Postby Hoser John » Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:08 am

:D Great video Matt nice to see you and Connie out and doing it. Remids me of a song that water does,Luv that Muddy water?? Somebody upstream dredging or just the way it is there?? Taking the trommel to Montana for some saphires?? From what I've read your in a pretty good gem and mineral area back east in multiple states. Sure makes me envious as miss dredging dearly :( this year--take care,happiness,health and a bit a wealth to 2 fine folks-respect-John
Hoser John

Postby Matt Mattson » Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:48 pm

Skip: I think both those statements are true (worked out and good gold). Most just dump in at the campground and dredge for a day where everyone else has been dredging for years, and of course that's worked out. The methodical can still get gold though it takes much time since you have to simply punch a hole and work forward through the swiss cheese of dredge holes, hitting good spots and tailings as you go (I'm talking about at the campground area still). To do well it takes some doing like your buddies have done, prospect and dig a huge hole upstream of the campground where the deep overburden is (Geno and I shot a 12 foot deep hole up there).

Hoser: yes, we're planning on a sapphire trip to Montana and will use the trommel there. I really haven't found much worthwhile in the way of gemstones here (North Carolina, etc.) as most of that stuff at the mines is salted from other places. The choice emerald I haven't been able to get access to. Went the the "hiddenite" deposit and that turned out to be a digging extravaganza for absolutely nothing (in the rain no less), so we're just going to stick with tried and true, Montana sapphires and Oregon sunstones (going to use it there too). I've been looking at that "Gems of Pala" in Ca. but haven't seen enough reports (from people like me) to know if that is worthwhile, a real deal, salted stuff, or ?. Maybe you know? If it's real, the Mrs. and I will add that one to the bucket list as well. Hope you are doing well and get to do some dredging soon!

Matt
Matt Mattson

PreviousNext

Return to Matt's Treasure Hunting