HUMMMMM???

Treasure Hunting

Moderators: russau, Leonard, Matt Mattson

HUMMMMM???

Postby russau » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:06 pm

Matt and Connie keep a tidy ship! no need for me over here! hope to see you two in Wyoming this July!
russau

Re: HUMMMMM???

Postby Matt Mattson » Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:52 am

Probably just blind dumb luck they haven't hit here, since they're everywhere else. Had a great time teaching the GO some beginning faceting, he'll be on his way to Colorado (and significantly cooler weather) tomorrow morning.
Matt Mattson

Postby russau » Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:06 am

i talked to Leonard the other day on the phone,and he says hes haveing a ball! out fishing and eating some VERY good fresh fish with some great friends! now you just cant beat that!
russau

Postby golden optimist » Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:42 am

Matt and Connie took me coin hunting the other day. I actually found about $1.00 in 2 times out. Thats better pay per hour than I do a lot of times dredging. I'll be buying a Garrett ace 350 in the next couple of months. Thats what I was using and I really liked it. I guess I'm getting ready to go to the senior mode and metal detect for coins and relics. At least I got to dig something other than trash, which is all I ever found gold detecting.
Leonard
golden optimist
Site Admin

Postby cosmic » Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:28 am

Try the Garrett AT pro before you buy.. Waterproof to 10 ft and high freqency.. Coins and hits hard on gold.. Also won't have to worry about rain or if you drop it in the drink(or spill one on it :D )...
WADE ON IN THE WATER AIN"T DEEP!!!!
"Genius has its limits stupidity has none."
cosmic

Postby Matt Mattson » Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:50 am

cosmic wrote:Try the Garrett AT pro before you buy.. Waterproof to 10 ft and high freqency.. Coins and hits hard on gold.. Also won't have to worry about rain or if you drop it in the drink(or spill one on it :D )...

I am probably going to try the AT Pro, but will wait at least a year to do so. While the Ace 350 is only a modest tweak of the Ace 250, the AT Pro is a revolutionary step, rather than an evolutionary step and is in fact a different detector entirely (although it shares the same box, similar to the Infinium and Sea Hunter sharing the same box). While the Infinium is truly a state of the art detector for serious prospecting and gold hunting in general, it got that way after 2 years of real headaches (software updates, coil updates (shielding, etc) and definitely stubbed its toe (and reputation) at the outset. I would wait awhile and see if there are bugs that have to be worked out (there almost always are with new units) before jumping on the AT Pro.
Matt Mattson

Postby russau » Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:53 am

Matt over on www.losttreasure.com in the "win" a detector section they have a Garrett AT Pro as the prize .Chris Gholson did the writeup on and said the versitility sets it apart from all other detectors. i won one of their detectors back in 2000. it was a Garrett Mark 2 Sea Hunter. i wish i had the Infinium as my other detector.
russau

Postby Hoser John » Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:12 am

The old garrets seahunter series absolutely rock at the beach but infinium is DEFINATELY the best pulse made bar none and 1/4 the cost of minelab with better features,less weight and a pleasure to run in/out of the water. John
Hoser John

Postby Matt Mattson » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:06 am

russau wrote:Matt over on http://www.losttreasure.com in the "win" a detector section they have a Garrett AT Pro as the prize .Chris Gholson did the writeup on and said the versitility sets it apart from all other detectors. i won one of their detectors back in 2000. it was a Garrett Mark 2 Sea Hunter. i wish i had the Infinium as my other detector.

Good article, Russ. He points out the good and bad, and this part of his article pretty much sums up why waiting is worthwhile:

"The ATP is a silent search machine, which means that no sound will be heard unless a target is found. I know there are hunters out there that prefer silent search detectors, but to be honest, I am not one of them. The constant humming of a threshold can be viewed as annoying, but that hum is packed with a lot of valuable information.Often times a small, or a very deep gold nugget, will not always produce a clear, distinct signal. Many of these subtle targets will only trigger a slight waver in the threshold and a silent search machine could potentially miss them. For myself, I don't mind the extra noise and, if Garrett decides to release an updated model in the future, I hope they consider the addition of an adjustable threshold.I would also ask for an adaptor that would allow different brands of headphones to be used. The supplied headphones are of good quality, however I have my own favorite pair and I would have enjoyed using them on the ATP. A backlight in the LCD would have also been a nice addition."

There's more (from me): the DD coil on the Ace line has a tough time in salt water, to the point of being unusable in wave action. The small sniper coil turns the ACE into an entirely different machine, and is far more user friendly than the DD. Whether the Pro will turn out to have the same problems/solutions will take time and the new users will find all that out shortly. Garrett will update the model accordingly and may say so (or not). Garrett makes great units, been using them since the mid 70's and strongly stand by Hoser's statement above. The Garrett XL-500 alone paid for every detector since, all my trips, and a few vehicles to boot!
Matt Mattson

Postby RiverGold » Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:37 pm

Leonard, Matt. I am going to try to work on some metal detecting in Vermont and New York state this spring and summer. There are some very old home sites and detecting areas. Most are in private hands, but a lot of people seem agreeable to letting me detect. Some of these properties go back to the late 1700's. I met an experienced local detectorist this summer and I hope to get together with him once the (expletive) winter weather subsides and the frozen ground melts. This is known as "mud season" and it is a mess. But, for detecting, I am looking forward to it.

Randy A
RiverGold

Next

Return to Matt's Treasure Hunting