Randy Ark River Sluicing w Matt -- 7 Mar 15

All information and questions about the Rocky Mountain aera prospecting

Moderators: russau, Leonard

Randy Ark River Sluicing w Matt -- 7 Mar 15

Postby C-17A » Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:39 am

Hey Gold Dredgers...

Well, we FINALLY have had the snow stop falling for a few days now.....and a warming trend, so a new prospecting friend Matt from Leadville, Colorado, and I hit the Arkansas River on the GPAA Arkansas Groups claims block for a little afternoon sluicing fun in the bright High Colorado sun yesterday...

We met about 11AM as the morning was a bit nippy, at 9 degrees F at my house, hoping the sun would warm the ground, make diggin' in the river bed possible. By the end of the day it had warmed up to maybe 45 or 50 degrees.

Walking thru several inches of snow and slush we got to a spot I'd worked last Fall successfully, but unfortunately the area in the bench I wanted to try was frozen solid, under a layer of snow. So, we were relegated to working less good gravels at the edge of the water, being the only unfrozen material available.

I setup up my trusty Le Trap sluice and sample panned a few pans and started working a spot whereby I could pitch & roll bigger rocks and shovel straight into my Le Trap.

Matt brought his Keene sluice, but decided to walk back to this truck and swap it for his Angus MacKirk sluice, being a drop riffle design much like my Le Trap and it would work better in the slower water flow needed to catch/keep the very fine gold we were after.

Here's Matt's MacKirk in action:

Matt's dig spot at the water's edge:

We stopped about 1:15Pm for a quick bite of lunch, admiring the beautiful day as it warmed up. We saw a Clark's Nutcracker, a Townsend's Solitaire and even 2 wild turkeys that swooped in and landed in a big tree above us on the bank.....cool to see so much bird life.

A couple shots of Matt working for his gold:

I spent way more time just talking and enjoying the company with Matt than aggressively shoveling/washing material for the gold. However, I did clean out a little bit of gravels at the water's edge too:

By 3PM I was tired, ready to cleanup and head home. So, we both cleaned up, packed out and said our goodbyes....

Ha. Here's my whopping 1.3 grains or .08 grams of fine flood gold. Ha. Well, at least I wasn't skunked!

The gold was just the icing on the cake for a fun day spent on the river with a new gold prospecting friend. Hope "you all" get out soon, even in winter, and create a "gold adventure" memory for yourself. COME ON SPRING!!!

Randy "C-17A" :) http://www.goldadventures.biz
C-17A

Re: Randy Ark River Sluicing w Matt -- 7 Mar 15

Postby Hoser John » Mon Mar 09, 2015 6:37 am

:D Looks like fun n' the sun albeit a mite nippy for sure. Thanx much for the travelog and doing my best to rejoin the mining world myself. Take care-thanx for the fix as needed mucho-John
Hoser John

Postby C-17A » Sun Mar 22, 2015 6:23 am

John,

Well...........Spring is trying to spring up here...........still below freezing at nights.....22 this morning for our low, but as long as it's sunny, the days have warmed up to the mid 50s lately.

The sun and warmth makes the river bank & gravels more digable and one can get more good material sluiced lately than in months past. So, my gold recovery for an average 3 hours out has gone up some. ;)

Hope you get back to the hills, panning & sluicing soon...

God bless,

Randy "C-17A" :)
C-17A

Postby Hoser John » Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:18 am

Thanx much Randy as your a breathe of fresh air in a sea a pain at the moment. But ol'miners will overcome :D John
Hoser John

Return to Rocky Mountain Prospecting