South Park and back again

All information and questions about the Rocky Mountain aera prospecting

Moderators: russau, Leonard

Re: South Park and back again

Postby dickb » Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:51 am

It's probably for the best that you can't park a motorhome on it permantly. You would come back and it would be shot with bullet holes and some hunter would have probably used the living room to gut and quarter an elk! Vacant property gets vandalized real quick and they steal anything they can.

I think it would be a great site for a log home. Have you asked about a well yet? Septic could probably be a sand field. I would look at a windmill for electricity. Solar panels don't work well under several feet of snow.

Now your fun begins.

Lots of luck!

Dickb
77 Retired and Free
Eastern Iowa
dickb

Postby nebraskadad » Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:35 pm

dickb, the is conducive to solar, either on a stand array or roof mounted. (maybe solar shingles).

Consider Hartsel/Wilkerson pass, precip not bad because it's a precip dead zone.

Month
Average Precipitation
January 2.04 Inches
February 1.75 Inches
March 2.35 Inches
April 2.38 Inches
May 2.1 Inches
June 1.13 Inches
July 2.24 Inches
August 2.09 Inches
September 1.49 Inches
October 1.42 Inches
November 1.96 Inches
December 1.84 Inches

Septic would be a typical based on CO rural code.. I've thought about asking if using a composting crapper and gray water cistern is allowable.

Wind not so much because of altitude. Perhaps a vertical turbine would work better because of lower wind velocities.

I am a bit concerned about off months before we retire to it. I do have relative over in Lake George who could stop in and check it. But......
nebraskadad

Postby dickb » Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:08 pm

I've been thinking about doing the same thing in WY.

I worry about what would happen while we were away. I would only be there in parts of the summer. Don't take long for folks to know when a place is vacant and when they can take advantage of it. If you can keep you stuff at the family's place and just grab it on your way out, then they can keep an eye on it and there isn't much they can do to the land. Have a small trailer to pull behind the motor home and don't leave anything when you gone. You can build your road into the property and get a good level pad for the motor home, then you would have a good starting point to go from there. It would be nice if you could put a mobile home there and get a renter to watch the place, but being off the grid makes that tough and it costs a bunch to bring power in.

You got enough time to make it happen without breaking the bank and it looks like a great place to call home.

Good luck.

Dickb
77 Retired and Free
Eastern Iowa
dickb

Postby nebraskadad » Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:30 am

dick, I looked at some WY stuff south of Saratoga, the prices were high, 30k for 1 acre. you can get 40 acres of sagebrush up north of Rawlins for 20k. I needed to assuage the "better half" Colorado is a happy medium. I would have preferred WY so as not to deal with the liberal loons migrating from the Peoples Republik of Kalifornia, and from Tejas.

There is a lot of open turf in the South Park area, found areas around Buena Vista in the 100s for 1 acre, Fairplay is 1/3 acre for 30k.
nebraskadad

Postby tcfifer » Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:41 pm

nebraskadad wrote:dick, I looked at some WY stuff south of Saratoga, the prices were high, 30k for 1 acre. you can get 40 acres of sagebrush up north of Rawlins for 20k. I needed to assuage the "better half" Colorado is a happy medium. I would have preferred WY so as not to deal with the liberal loons migrating from the Peoples Republik of Kalifornia, and from Tejas.

There is a lot of open turf in the South Park area, found areas around Buena Vista in the 100s for 1 acre, Fairplay is 1/3 acre for 30k.

Make sure your water is good, regardless where you buy. If land is cheap, there may be a good reason. Some folks buy cheap land and truck their water in. Not my idea of fun.

TC
tcfifer

Postby russau » Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:31 am

not being there all the time is was my main concern for myself. i wanted to buy some land and build a home for retirement. it seems that didnt happen when my wife and i talked about it....... now my wife says, lets buy a place and go there on weekends for a get-a-way! i said NO! i dont want to go there won weekends and cut grass.fix broken windows/doors and endup replaceing everything that was stolen during thr week! we were going to move to Colorado when i retired but the ecconomy ended that!
russau

Postby h20prospector » Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:28 am

Russ,

Sorry the economy put an end to your dream of moving to Colorado :( I, for one, would have loved to learn from your experiences :) Now I have to learn to tolerate cigars, cut lots of wood, shoot videos, and drink Wild Turkey :lol: :lol: :lol: Us old farts are getting to be a fading lot :P No John, I didn't say fag! :roll: :roll:, I'll leave that to California.
Retired AF Veteran - 26 years
LDMA/GPAA/GPOC/PLP member
Ice & fly fisherman

'If you don't stand for something, you will fall for everything.'

A government big enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have!
h20prospector

Postby golden optimist » Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:01 am

The doctor cut my smoking cigars and wild turkey back to next to nothing. They'd prefer nothing but I can't go quite all the way. The wild turkey cutback has dropped me 27 pounds in the last 3 months. I think my wet suit will fit me again.
Leonard
golden optimist
Site Admin

Postby russau » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:09 am

thats great news Leonard! now we wont have to have another swimsuit (wetsuit)ceremonial fire! hecki d like to lose some weight myself!
russau

Postby bobber_2 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:25 pm

27 pounds - That's great Leonard. They say that for every pound you lose that's 4 pounds of stress off each knee...
bobber_2

PreviousNext

Return to Rocky Mountain Prospecting