Arkansas River Crevicing & Panning -- Buena Vista, CO

All information and questions about the Rocky Mountain aera prospecting

Moderators: russau, Leonard

Arkansas River Crevicing & Panning -- Buena Vista, CO

Postby C-17A » Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:17 pm

Hey Gold Dredger prospectors,

Well.............finally took the morning off today (25 July) and went to the GPAA claims on the Arkansas River, about 5 miles north of Buena Vista, to see how low the river was and crevice & pan around. My goal wasn't big production, but rather to sample the gravel bars, the banks, the boulder fields and bust a little bedrock, just to see if I could ID any better spots than others...

Got there about 8 AM and took my 3 foot pry bar, backpack with water & snacks, plus misc hand tools, and 2 pans. I wanted to move fast, sample pan as much as possible. The day was great...slightly overcast, about 60 degrees.

The water was actually higher than I had hoped. I wanted it really low, so I could get way out into the river bed. Several years back I prospected this same area of the GPAA claims, but the water was even higher then, forcing me to sluice nothing but high bank/bench material. That time I found maybe 1 nice flake & lots of -100 specks. Not much for hours of effort.

I tried busting some bedrock, which was hard to locate on this stretch of river. I ended up busting crevices in larger boulders, and panning the small amount of very silty material. Just a few specks. I tried a gravel bar in several places. Specks only. I walked down river to the elbow bend right above the defunct trail tressel and creviced. Specks again.

I decided to work a spot between several large boulders right at the end of the elbow bend. I got lead from bullet fragments right away. Hmmm.... Maybe a gold holding point too. After about 5 BIG pans of material, noting but more specks.

O.K. Walk up river about 1/4 mile, sampling the bank in various spots......where others had dug too. Some areas very sandy, some pea gravel sized layering, some wet material between vertical slabs. Nothing but specks. :? Loads & loads of heavy black sand to be had in most any reasonable pan of material.

A quarter mile up stream I realized I'd lost my favorite hand shovel, so back down I walked, hopping slipery rocks, looking for it. Luckily, I spotted it at a site I stopped to dig/pan. Would have hated to lose my very favorite gold getting tool! :wink:

About this time I realized my lower right back was hurting quite a bit. Felt like I strained a lower back muscle. Squatting over and hand panning about 10 to 15 heavy pans, or trying to pry apart crevices too big for my bar, whatever the reason I felt like I'd had enough fun for the day. It was approaching noon, so I headed back to the Jeep.

I didn't get skunked, but I sure didn't find any one spot better than another, and couldn't find "The Glory Hole" with just a prybar, pan and hand trowel.

Here's my big haul. Ha:

I could probably have found more gold in just 1 bucket up at Cache Creek than I did in 3 to 4 hrs putzing around the Arkansas River as I did. So, Cache Creek will be my next "Gold Adventure" some day very soon...

I took only 1 short video. I was so busy looking, walking, panning, that I actually forgot about the camera in my backpack. Here's the link to my channel on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUj0Nj31SdA&feature=plcp

Hope you too get out and have a fun time hunting that yellow metal. Despite tweaking my back a little, I really enjoyed the morning on the river. I got to see a river otter with a trout in its mouth, several Clark's Nutcrackers in the pine trees overhead, and lots of other wildlife, like birds, chipmunks, butterflies, etc.

Gold IS where you find it, even if it's just a little color. Can't wait for my next trip out! :P

Randy "C-17A" :D www.goldadventures.biz
C-17A

Re: Arkansas River Crevicing & Panning -- Buena Vista, CO

Postby KevinInColorado » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:04 pm

Great morning Randy, glad to see you are getting out near your new home! I'm sure you'll find a favorite spot or two soon...
KevinInColorado

Postby Hoser John » Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:46 am

:D REAL stories rock and must agree sometimes the trip is the gold. Heading out this am with a bud for some fun n' the sun--oops I mean shade really as canyon fulla trees for privacy 8-) ---John :lol:
Hoser John

Postby russau » Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:02 am

have a great time John! we will be with you in thoughts!
russau

Postby nebraskadad » Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:23 pm

Randy,

If you are checking in, I'd suggest checking out the "Fairplay" City Beach..

Stop at the City Office for a $5.00 season permit. My wife and spent a couple days over there. great for sluicing, and pretty decent color. I will clean up tomorrow and post some pics. Just got back in the heat today.. Long drive across CO, KS and NE to get back to Omaha.

City Office on Front Street,
http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Front ... ra=ls&z=15

To get to beach drive to Pizza Hut and drive in on Platte Drive.

Someone had punched a decent hole in the old dredge tailings, and we were consistently getting color..
nebraskadad

Postby russau » Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:17 am

Rex,and didnt you just love that trip across western Kansas! it was 112 degrees when Lee and I drove across it!
russau

Postby nebraskadad » Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:07 am

Yep Russ, It was good to get out of the heat for a week. Fairplay is building a new HS. I was joking with Momma about applying for a IT position and building on our land and moving.

I need to pan out our cons.. We used Andy's Top Runner II on the beach and worked probably about 16 hours total. I know there is color.

Momma enjoyed running material while i dug.
nebraskadad

Postby russau » Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:32 am

Rex that might be a good move all around! wish i was in that position!
russau

Postby nebraskadad » Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:30 pm

Yea Russ, If I wouldn't lose half my retirement i'd definitely consider it. Getting too close to the end to see a large chunk of cash go bye-bye.

Here is the color we got from the Fairplay Beach:
fairplaygold.jpg
fairplaygold.jpg (47.27 KiB) Viewed 7901 times

and a Pic of Momma running Andy's Top Runner II ( a friend of hers thinks she is about ot drop the F-Bomb because I am taking a pic..)
kim-prospecting.jpg
kim-prospecting.jpg (69.64 KiB) Viewed 7901 times
nebraskadad

Postby russau » Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:46 am

looks like im going to have to miss this year.
russau

Return to Rocky Mountain Prospecting