O'Neils- any one know?

All information and questions about the Rocky Mountain aera prospecting

Moderators: russau, Leonard

O'Neils- any one know?

Postby pickaxe » Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:17 pm

I'd seen a couple of posts recently that seem to imply that O'Neils is being run by someone else now? Me and a bud would like to go there but I've heard a couple stories (rumors)
of the old man accosting folks with a gun. So does anyone know if and who might be running it now?
pickaxe

Re: O'Neils- any one know?

Postby pickaxe » Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:32 pm

OK, then, I'll take that as a no and move on.....
pickaxe

Postby russau » Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:12 am

naw, id say Leonards site is just slow this time of year and your question just wasnt answered yet! but i wouldnt let some rummers stop from going! just be prepaired incase someone does want to act stupid! good luck on your trip!
russau

Postby C-17A » Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:05 am

Russ, anyone,

I drove by there a week or so back and the old sign posts still up had Colorado Gold Camp stickers on them. Hmmm... Do they have the O'Neil Claim now? Just advertising?

I heard O'Neil's was a bit of a pay to play place............depending on the day(s) prospected & the equipment you used (pan, sluice, highbanker, etc.) Still that way?

I'd like to go and "play" some day soon. How does one gwt safely/legally onto O'Neils these days?

Thanks!!

Randy "C-17A" :)
C-17A

Postby h20prospector » Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:48 am

Randy,

You should send a PM to the moderator of Colorado Gold Camp forum. He should be able to help you out. Send me a PM.
Pat
Last edited by h20prospector on Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Retired AF Veteran - 26 years
LDMA/GPAA/GPOC/PLP member
Ice & fly fisherman

'If you don't stand for something, you will fall for everything.'

A government big enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have!
h20prospector

Postby C-17A » Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:19 am

Pat,

Yes, I am talking about the creek side property West of Hwy 24, not the East side property across the Hwy & tracks...

Is the West side, up the creek from the little dirt parking lot still pay to play? I've heard you simply put some money in a certain mail box up the road, but that's very hard to figure out.

Randy
C-17A

Postby h20prospector » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:27 am

Randy,

Check your PM
Retired AF Veteran - 26 years
LDMA/GPAA/GPOC/PLP member
Ice & fly fisherman

'If you don't stand for something, you will fall for everything.'

A government big enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have!
h20prospector

Postby nebraskadad » Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:21 pm

Randy,

Don't know if you get to Fairplay, but a $5 season permit from the city you can dig on the city beach..
My wife and i worked the beach for a couple days in July and got some nice color with the Toprunner sluice.

You can drive in from PizzaHut driving to the walking bridge, Park then walk across the river and back down stream about 50 - 100 yards. I was digging in a hole that was about 5 ft deep and 10' in diameter. Nice color in the south wall .

Rex
nebraskadad

Postby OKJohn » Sat Aug 25, 2012 6:59 pm

I drove by there in the last week. The place was crawling with panners/sluicers and even a few people dredging. Talking to one of the guys there, Dennis still owns it and is the man to talk to. However, it has become a very popular place since Cache Creek shut down.

OKJohn
OKJohn

Postby pickaxe » Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:38 am

OKJohn, that's good information right there. Its what I was looking for, thanks.
pickaxe

Next

Return to Rocky Mountain Prospecting