Camping trip

All information and questions about the Rocky Mountain aera prospecting

Moderators: russau, Leonard

Camping trip

Postby golden optimist » Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:21 pm

Corky and I went camping yesterday at the local state park. We hiked about 2 1/2 miles round trip to an old gravel pit to do a little prospecting. When we got there we found why they had quit digging deeper. They had hit clay. We panned a couple of pans anyway and foumd 5 fly specks. You could almost see them. Back to camp where we panned a couple of pans of blak sand I had brought and found a lot more gold in that. It was really windy through the night, both in the trailer and outside. We had a great time and it was probably the last trip of the year.

corkycamp1.jpg
corkycamp1.jpg (50.28 KiB) Viewed 4014 times

corkycamp2.jpg
corkycamp2.jpg (46.93 KiB) Viewed 4014 times

corkycamp3.jpg
corkycamp3.jpg (36.44 KiB) Viewed 4014 times

Leonard
golden optimist
Site Admin

Re: Camping trip

Postby COArgonaut » Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:12 pm

I was thinking you might have been getting some breeze up there. At least yesterday was a nice day.

ed
COArgonaut

Postby Hoser John » Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:13 am

:D Glad to see you up and out and Lil' Red is still chuggn' along :lol: :lol: that ol' truck will definately deserve a viking funeralary when you finally let it go--tons a au 2 u 2 -John
Hoser John

Postby Cochetopa » Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:06 am

Is that black panel in the first photo by your trailer a solar collector for electric generation? Reason I ask, my wife is after me to get something like that for emergency preparedness. Thanks.
"Yet it isn't the gold that I'm wanting
So much as just finding the gold.",
The Spell of the Yukon, Robert W. Service
Cochetopa

Postby golden optimist » Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:24 am

Good eye. It puts out 4 amps at 12 volts in full sun. I've used it several years at Douglas Creek to keep my battery up while running my ham radio gear. I only operate a few hours a day but it keeps the battery up while I'm running about 75 watts power out.
Leonard
golden optimist
Site Admin

Postby gremlin » Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:10 pm

Cochetopa wrote:Is that black panel in the first photo by your trailer a solar collector for electric generation? Reason I ask, my wife is after me to get something like that for emergency preparedness. Thanks.

one good solar panel will help. but take a look at this. you can build a vwat wind genarator cheep. http://www.windstuffnow.com/main/vawt.htm if you look around you can find some prebuilt vertical axis wind mills on ebay. you got to be very carefull when buying them. they have a small one it has about 20 differnt prices i would not pay much for it. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-Vertical-A ... 43b544b4b5 this one is only 1 ft tall. dont think it will do the 10w they clam.

now if you have to keep meds cool a solar refrigerator and deep freeze is in order. http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=solar+freezer there good for boats, houses and rv's and come in handy. they run off of a solar panel and a battery.

then some led lights are handy. you can run a string of them up and your can run all the lights in your house off of led lighting.

now for some fun. http://www.campfirecafetv.com/ outdoor cooking gear you can build cheep if you have a welder. or just order it. handy when your at the camp site and in any emergency type of deal you can cut wood from fallen trees. then you can have hot water and food.
save a tree, eat a squirrel.
gremlin

Return to Rocky Mountain Prospecting