Randy Sluicing Cache Creek, CO -- 27 Jun 13

All information and questions about the Rocky Mountain aera prospecting

Moderators: russau, Leonard

Randy Sluicing Cache Creek, CO -- 27 Jun 13

Postby C-17A » Sat Jun 29, 2013 6:07 pm

Hey Gold Dredgers,

Time for one more quick Trip Report of my exploits up at Cache Creek, just West of Granite, Colorado.

The weather has been pretty hot, with Denver having 97 to 99 degree days, and us here in the "High Country" up in the mid to high 80s... With cloudless skies and up at 9,500 feet elevation the UV is off the charts.

I got to Cache Creek about 8:30AM so as to beat as much of the afternoon heat as possible. Arriving at my planned dig site a gent had already been there first, was setup and mining dirt from around a big berm. Bummer....

After some friendly chat, I decided to work upstream a little ways. I found a dig hole others had made, and since it was in the shade & close to the creek for possible sluicing I decided to sample different layers. Well, after 5 big sample pans and only 2 specks I decided to walk way out into the open, sunny area. Nothing looked prospective.

So, I packed up and hiked further up the creek. After a while I came to a big mound right beside the creek and sampled some dirt. It had some fine color and the day was rapidly wasting away if I didn't get to work, so I setup my Le Trap right in the small water way and started digging & sluicing.

I tried to hide out in the brush & willows as much as possible to avoid the burning sun and rising heat. Good thing I had my new bottle of bug stray to bathe in so as to keep all the mosquitoes at bay! There are a LOT of mosquitoes at Cache Creek now. :?

Anyways, I setup and moved several times and eventually quit and did a final cleanup about 3 PM. It was hot, I was tired. Since I had about 5 cleanups from my Le Trap sluice, and now a small pail of heavy black sand cons I decided to take them home and Gold Cube them, which I did yesterday. I got about 1 cup of "super" cons from each tray:

Here's the gold I got in the lower tray. Not much. Maybe 5% or less in the lower tray:

Here's the top tray. Maybe a gram of nice, yellow, Colorado Cache Creek gold! The Cube really catches most of the gold of all sizes in the top tray, even to 200 mesh super specks:

I was tired and sweaty and dirty by the end of the day, BUT I didn't get skunked after all! I had no idea how I did until I panned out my Gold Cubed cons. Yeah... Can't wait to go back. :wink:

Hope "you all" get motivated, get out soon too! :P

Randy "C-17A" :D www.goldadventures.biz
C-17A

Re: Randy Sluicing Cache Creek, CO -- 27 Jun 13

Postby MtDew » Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:30 pm

Looks pretty good Randy, better than sitting home all day lol.
MtDew

Postby russau » Sun Jun 30, 2013 4:34 am

:) unless thats just about all you can do for the day!:)
russau

Postby C-17A » Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:09 pm

Russ,

Wish you were doing better...

How much longer will you be "down" from prospecting & house bound? Did you go up to meet Leonard on his claim in Wyoming this 4th of July?

Randy "C-17A" :)
C-17A

Postby russau » Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:36 am

no i didnt get to go to Wyoming, but Leonard didnt go either.Randy im feeling better but i still dont want to put much/any lifting in my daily schedule. im getting super cabin fever from all of this,and have mostly been working (very small jobs)around our home.i got a few projects i want to build and im leaning towards doing just that. the current fires/heat out in Colorado has kept us from comeing out for this month. my wife and i had talked about comeing out in September. id like to comeout and spend some time with Leonard and yourself and some other people out that way(Marc). im a good watcher/armchair prospector now! we are looking at getting a new puppy since our last one died,and thats going to take some effort teaching it! but thatll be fun. time has come for me to start giveing my sons my extra tools.
russau

Postby Hoser John » Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:46 am

Discretion is definately the better part a valor when it comes to our ol'beat up bodies Russ. Accepting physical restrictions is a real chore as I ALWAYS try to do more. Tough not living at home with all the creature comforts and amentities but I gotta do what I do to do what I want albeit very carefully and usually every other day to extremis with a casual day inbetween but can still play the game smartly. Take care bud-John
Hoser John

Postby russau » Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:13 am

Thanks John!ive been trying to do just that!
russau

Return to Rocky Mountain Prospecting