Prospecting a Creek in High Colorado -- 15 May 14

All information and questions about the Rocky Mountain aera prospecting

Moderators: russau, Leonard

Prospecting a Creek in High Colorado -- 15 May 14

Postby C-17A » Fri May 16, 2014 8:39 am

Hey Gold Dredgers...

I had cabin fever, so I decided to hit the hills and prospect/sample pan on a nice creek that flows into the Arkansas River North of where I live...

I have driven by this creek dozens and dozens of times over the years. Finally went out for about 1 1/2 hours in the snow, wind and sample panned up the creek about 1/4 mile from the road access.

The day was probably up to 45 degrees, but the shade & wind sure made it feel colder...

I sample panned in all the prospective looking spots.........behind boulders, in gravel bars, in the high bench, under fallen logs....sadly, just a few tiny specks here and there... :(

I did find evidence of someone else recently had been there, doing the same thing, as there were little dig holes in spots I was digging too. Ha. Hopefully they did better than I did.

About 1/4 mile up I found a spot where someone brought in a lot of black rubber hose and the remains of a homemade sluice box. Guess they used the hose maybe last summer/fall when the water level was much lower to run water down a side channel. I saw their dig hole in the bank, sampled a pan....nothing. Oh well... Still had a "Gold Adventure" and I satisfied my curiosity about the creek... :P

I did one short video starting off, but didn't make any others as there wasn't much to report/show as to gold: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJNqKq3 ... LLbPp31xvg

Hope you get out and hunt some "wild" gold for yourself soon!

Randy "C-17A" :) http://www.goldadventures.biz
C-17A

Re: Prospecting a Creek in High Colorado -- 15 May 14

Postby russau » Fri May 16, 2014 12:49 pm

Randy in any event it looks like you had a good time, and it didn't hurt wearing off some of that cabin fever! again,thanks for the tag-a-long!
russau

Re: Prospecting a Creek in High Colorado -- 15 May 14

Postby Hoser John » Sat May 17, 2014 5:38 am

:? OUCH 45,windy and in the shade you sure paid your dues for any gold found. Bedrock doesn't seem to be evident in your pics?? Any around. Thanx for tag along as just spent 5 hours in a meeting trying to save a creek watershed area from eco annialation, BORING but made some headway. tons a au 2 u 2-John
Hoser John

Return to Rocky Mountain Prospecting