Arkansas River Snow Melt/Flooding Pics -- 31 May 14

All information and questions about the Rocky Mountain aera prospecting

Moderators: russau, Leonard

Arkansas River Snow Melt/Flooding Pics -- 31 May 14

Postby C-17A » Sun Jun 01, 2014 6:06 am

Hey Gold Dredgers...

Well, finally snow melt is in full swing here in "High" Colorado... We had a HUGE snow pack this winter....about 135 to 160% of average annual snowfall here in the upper Arkansas River valley when all was said and done. This winter was one of the worst in the last 6 to 8 years here, based on an early start to freezing, all the snowfall, the subzero temps we had and such...

Now, we're getting a real good melt up in the higher elevations from all the 13ers & 14ers.

I drove over to the Arkansas River yesterday afternoon to get a look at the river. Wanted to see just how much water was now gushing down the channel, and it IS gushing! Hope it's really churning up the river bed, moving a lot of gold around for me to get later this Fall. Ha! :P

These pics were taken about 5 miles North of Buena Vista, Colorado, on CR 371. Too high, fast, dangerous for the rafters right now. I did see a few brave kayakers going down the river.............WOO-HOO! :o

The Ark may come up even higher here over the next 7 to 10 days! Early June is traditionally the peak of melt/runoff.

Cheers,

Randy "C-17A" :) www.goldadventures.biz
C-17A

Re: Arkansas River Snow Melt/Flooding Pics -- 31 May 14

Postby polekaat » Sun Jun 01, 2014 7:50 am

Tis debatable whether those kayakers were brave or stupid. That water looks nasty and unforgiving.

Trevor
polekaat

Re: Arkansas River Snow Melt/Flooding Pics -- 31 May 14

Postby Hoser John » Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:37 am

Actually smart as higher water flows mean less boulders to hit so smoother paddln' and soooooooooooo much fun-John :D
Hoser John

Return to Rocky Mountain Prospecting