Point Bar on the Arkansas

All information and questions about the Rocky Mountain aera prospecting

Moderators: russau, Leonard

Point Bar on the Arkansas

Postby CO_sluicer » Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:31 pm

Was on the Arkansas fishing with my son, the wind really picked up so we decided to do a little prospecting. Found our way to point bar public access. Had lunch and sluiced for about 2 hours. Never been here before so just found some diggins, looked like an old tailing pile maybe 50 ft from the river. Only ran two buckets, the hole I was working was pretty hardpacked - had to use a pry bar to loosen. Brought the cons home to pan, but I did find some flakes in the rubber matting so I imagine there will be more. My first gold from the Arkansas River.

The Arkansas was bigger water than I am used to and I had a tough time setting up the sluice. Found a side channel that seemed to work - but I was not happy with the setup. Anyone have experience setting up a sluice in big water like this? Any tips would be appreciated.
CO_sluicer

Re: Point Bar on the Arkansas

Postby WildernessAU » Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:36 pm

It's tough to set up a sluice in deeper water. An adjustable sluice stand would work or you just have to move around and pile rocks. Not the easiest thing to do, but it's part of the game.
WildernessAU

Return to Rocky Mountain Prospecting