Douglas Creek Wyoming

All information and questions about the Rocky Mountain aera prospecting

Moderators: russau, Leonard

Douglas Creek Wyoming

Postby polekaat » Mon Jul 20, 2015 2:15 pm

I made a trip up to Douglas Creek on Friday 7/17/15 to relax, spend time with family, and do a little dredging (very little). We spent a lot of time kicked back by the campfire, sightseeing, and just goofing off.
I couldn't believe how many campers were on the flats when we arrived. At least 40 campers, turns out that the GPAA was having an outing that weekend. They had a big cookout on Saturday and lots of friendly people about.
On Saturday, I assembled my 5" dredge, complete with a newly welded 3" ring, at the bridge. Then proceeded to play draft horse and drag it up current to the Beans and Bacon claim. Whew....what a workout. I located some exposed bedrock and spent 2 hours (one tank of gas) cleaning up that bedrock. I did a cleanout and took it back to camp and my gold cube. Now I know why the bedrock was exposed, someone had already dredged it clean. I only got six colors for 2 hours.
On Sunday, I went back to the same place and started cleaning cracks with my blaster nozzle. The bedrock was coming apart in chunks with clay and gravel in the cracks. After 3 hours I did another cleanup, back to the gold cube. I ended up with this little bit for my efforts. Image
The bigger piece, on the left, had 3 dimensions and actually rolled when you turned the vial, while the rest just slid on the glass.
On Monday Christina dredged for a couple of hours while I packed up the camp. Those concentrates are still in my cleanup tub awaiting me to setup the gold cube and see what's in them.
One of the guys camping near us showed me his cleanup from Saturday. He had about 1/8 oz. of nice chunky pieces about the size of the white seeds in a "seedless" watermelon. He was on a block of claims downstream of the flats. He said that he got the best gold in the top two feet of gravel/cobbles.

Thank you Leonard for letting me get away and do a little dredging. That was the first time my dredge saw the water this year.

Trevor
polekaat

Re: Douglas Creek Wyoming

Postby russau » Mon Jul 20, 2015 2:38 pm

you did well Trev! I wish I could have been there for Geno and Cathy!
russau

Postby golden optimist » Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:12 pm

I think I know where you were. We've been there and you would have done better downstream a little way toward the big tree or upstream about 50 feet where the stream takes off a little to the left.
Leonard
golden optimist
Site Admin

Postby russau » Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:41 pm

golden optimist wrote:I think I know where you were. We've been there and you would have done better downstream a little way toward the big tree or upstream about 50 feet where the stream takes off a little to the left.
Leonard

OR if Leonard and I could have been there cheering you on while tipping our cold ones to your achievement around the campfire! :D
russau

Postby russau » Tue Dec 01, 2015 4:45 am

Im hopeing to get out to Wyoming or Colorado this Summer to visit with Leonard and MAYBE try out my 2 inch dredge that I built 3 years ago. OR maybe just sit around the fire and shoot the breeze
russau

Return to Rocky Mountain Prospecting