Fall Prospecting in Nebraska

All information and questions about the Rocky Mountain aera prospecting

Moderators: russau, Leonard

Re: Fall Prospecting in Nebraska

Postby Shoya » Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:38 pm

Dredging on the Nemaha would be interesting, seems like the deeper you go the less gold you find,sometimes. Most areas on the stretch we propsect has hard pack gravel and the fines dont penetrate. Seems like every spring we need to re-prospect the area. There is one spot that has me curious about dredging that Rex and I have not tried. It's on the tail end of about a three mile gradual drop, this is where a huge pile of loose non compacted gravel sits, and there is hardly any color on top. Which tells me the gold found its way down to the bedrock, there is a least 4-6 foot of overburden so dredging with my little 2" wasnt an option and don't have any diving gear. I don't think the spring floods affect this this section much either. It's a crap shoot but could be worth while. If you guys want shallow dredging there are spots all over for that too. I like to get out in early spring March/ April before the rains come, 45-50 degree days feel nice after a long cold winter.
Shoya

Postby omahadan » Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:19 am

Hi guys, newbie here from Omaha.. I stumbled on this site the other day, and was really excited to hear that others are actually prospecting near my area! Are you guys going to plan an outing sometime this spring? I'd love to be able to check out the local scene!

Thanks,
Dan
omahadan

Postby tcfifer » Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:33 pm

From one Cornhusker to another...

Welcome Dan

TC
tcfifer

Postby nebraskadad » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:56 am

TC and Dan,
we may be planning something as weather improves.. April 1 is out for me as I am getting my sinuses rotorootered.
I need to check with Shoya..

He and I went down Sunday, the ground was still pretty hard digging.. We are thinking making NEXT not this weekend. Also depends on water level, it rans a bunch we don't want to tear up the field road we go in on out of respect for the landowner.

We did manage to get our typical Nemaha color a few specks grains of salt to powder sugar specks per pan.

Welcome Dan, I am going to PM my Phone and email address so we can hook up. also we have our own website, nebraskagoldprospectors.org, if you run into problems getting logged on send me an email, I am the web dude for our small group.

Russ, if you see this thread email me and let me know your schedule. Maybe coordinate you dredger for a good hole, water IS still awful cold.
nebraskadad

Postby russau » Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:55 am

Rex do you mean cold like Wyomings water or cold like blue lips kinda cold?? i forwarded your PM to Leonard to see if hes willing! the weather report last night said Kansas and Nebraska were to get 11 inchs of snow.........would there be plenty of fire wood???? haha
russau

Postby nebraskadad » Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:47 pm

this and next week we are looking at the high 50s, looks like Sat 19th will be in the 60s at the river. yea the water was blue lip stuff this weekend! Been down there in colder weather.
Firewood, i think can be found. not like Douglas Creek, a little bit more foraging is required!!

My hands got cold panning.. Can't find rubber gloves to fit my stubby hands :o
nebraskadad

Postby golden optimist » Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:51 pm

Name a location so I can see how far it is from me. The closest town so I can google it would work. I might come just to watch you freeze your ass off.

Leonard
golden optimist
Site Admin

Postby russau » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:58 am

Leonard its in the southeast corner of Nebraska close to the little Nemaha River. im not sure where they want togo exactly (private property)but just to figure mileage/time seach for Auburn Nebraska.
russau

Postby golden optimist » Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:42 am

Looks like about 560 miles from here.
Leonard
golden optimist
Site Admin

Postby nebraskadad » Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:17 am

Table Rock/Humboldt about a 5 mile radius from either. Auburn is about 30 miles from where we go.
nebraskadad

PreviousNext

Return to Rocky Mountain Prospecting