C17a - Randy visits Denver

All information and questions about the Rocky Mountain aera prospecting

Moderators: russau, Leonard

C17a - Randy visits Denver

Postby golden optimist » Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:21 am

Randy spent the week in Denver and we went sluicing saturday for a few hours. It was a kind of cold, chilly day unless you were running a shovel, which I wasn't. My hands only fit a swivel nozzle. We were almost in Denver itself working on the lower end of Clear Creek.
First thing, get the sluice set and all of the water running perfectly.
randysluice2.jpg
A little sluice setup. You have to have the water running perfectly.
randysluice2.jpg (67.03 KiB) Viewed 4902 times

A few shovel fulls to test it.
randysluice1.jpg
Testing the material flow
randysluice1.jpg (82.72 KiB) Viewed 4902 times

We were working on a gravel bar getting last years flood gold. Most of that is in the top foot or so of the bar.
DSCF0022.jpg
Randy classifying for the sluice
DSCF0022.jpg (109.48 KiB) Viewed 4902 times

The results of a couple of hours work. May not be a whole lot but it's Colorado Gold and a good time was had by all.
Leonard
Attachments
randysgold1.jpg
The gold shot!
randysgold1.jpg (56.5 KiB) Viewed 4902 times
golden optimist
Site Admin

Re: C17a - Randy visits Denver

Postby russau » Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:41 am

well i see that the snow is gone and Randy had a good time, even though it was short. thanks for the pics Leonard!
russau

Postby geno » Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:49 am

Glad Randy got to take some CO gold back East
Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
Marcie Foleyhttp://www.campgeno.com
geno

Postby C-17A » Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:36 pm

Leonard,

MANY THANKS to you, Steve & Rick for taking me under your wing last Saturday and getting me about 3 good/hard hours of sluicing in on Clear Creek, in downtown Debver, before I had to pack up and dash to the airport!!! :P

It really was the icing on the cake for my short trip there to the Denver area..........for work & gold prospecting. I have to say you got me some very nice, fine & flakey Colorado gold, and in an exposed rock/gravel bar right on top and right in the middle of the creek. We ALWAYS think deeper is better and in this case, just the opposite..........all the flood gold was on the top in the silt to the first 6 to maybe 12 inches. It's always where you find it and sometimes where it's SUPPOSED to be! ;)

I wish I could take my dredge there at that spot and move a BUNCH of dirt. It may have been very fine, but with that many colors per pan, I have to say it's pretty rich stuff. Can't wait to try to get on the next Air Force TDY there and go to Clear Creek for more fun and gold!!

Appreciate the pics & story here for everyone to see & enjoy... :) .

Also, a BIG shout out to "Red" and all he did to welcome me to Denver on 31 Jan, and take me up to his "secret spot" and highbank in the frozen, rock hard creek bank on North Clear Creek.

God bless you all! Will get in touch the next time I come out to Denver.

Randy "C-17A" :D www.goldadventures.biz

P.S. My Trip Report can be seen at: http://www.atfreeforum.com/goldadventur ... adventures

I hope to post a bunch of short videos over the weekend, and will share the links soon!
C-17A

Return to Rocky Mountain Prospecting