Propane conversion

Any information related to prospecting

Moderators: russau, Leonard

Re: Propane conversion

Postby Gold Seeker » Sun Sep 28, 2014 4:55 pm

I think it's around $150 to $160 + shipping for engines under 12 HP.
Skip P.

God, Family, Friends, and Gold!!!
Gold Seeker

Postby russau » Mon Sep 29, 2014 4:31 am

Thankyou GS!
russau

Postby Bonaro » Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:06 pm

After searching the web for a while, I found the best reviews and prices at US Carbs http://www.motorsnorkel.com/

They have a new invention called a snorkel that basically injects the gas via a small pilot tube built into a gasket under the carb. This allows you to retain all of the original linkage and air cleaners of the OEM. They also have older kits available on ebay and in their clearance section that mount in front of the carb and may require cutting the frame and relocating the air cleaner. The obsolete lits arte greatly discounted.

The kit I bought has you drill out the existing carb and install a new main jet that the gas line connects directly to. I will throw away the float bowl and fuel tank. If I should ever what to go back to gasoline, a new carb is available on ebay for $16.

The dedicated LP kit I bought was $169 including shipping. I still need to buy a primary regulator, available at ACE for $18. This whole thing will end up costing about $200
I will never have to flush out or rebuild another dirty carb, replaced a fouled plug or worry about stale fuel or spills again....AND...I will tell everyone gawking that I am using a GREEN aquatic habitat improver :D
Bonaro

Postby russau » Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:15 pm

good report Dan! I like all of the stated issues that you presented. ill probly buy one for my 10kw genset!
russau

Postby Bonaro » Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:20 pm

The kit arrived today. I read the instructions and it's all very straight forward.
The kit itself should take about 1 hour to install and I want to build a custom bottle bracket that will take me some time longer. I will take progress pics.

Russ, these kits are ideal for generators. However, in order to set the load adjustment for fuel flow you need to put full load on that genset.
Bonaro

Postby russau » Thu Oct 02, 2014 4:34 am

HMM? that makes sense!
russau

Postby Bonaro » Fri Oct 03, 2014 8:31 pm

The heart of the propane conversion is the zero pressure regulator. It works an awful lot like a scuba regulator (which gives me a idea for my next project) wherein when you draw on it slightly, it allows air to flow. The motor runs making vacuum in the carb. The regulator sees this negative pressure and flows gas. The more vacuum, the more flow. When you come up against the governor it closes the throttle plate and lessens the vacuum and the gas flow reduces.

You will need to put full load / max RPM on that gen to adjust the high fuel flow rate. This will prevent the gen from running out of fuel or flooding at high load.
Bonaro

Postby Bonaro » Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:52 pm

I finished the propane conversion of my dredge motor. It took me a while but I did a bunch of extra work while I had things tore apart.
Below is a slideshow of my progress. Look along the top of each slide for captions.

I got everything installed, turned on the fuel and hit the key and it fired right up. I found it to be quieter than before and the idle was much smoother. It also doesnt stink when you run it inside the garage which is a added bonus.

In all, I am very satisfied. :P

http://s698.photobucket.com/user/Bonaro/slideshow/LPG%20conversion
Bonaro

Postby Hoser John » Mon Nov 10, 2014 6:36 am

No stink but that odorless carbon monoxide will kill ya deader than a doornail. Nice conversion,now real time performance results will be most interesting 8-) John
Hoser John

Postby russau » Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:22 am

Nice job Dan! thanks for the slide show! Im not to keen on the zip ties for the gas line. they have a perpenceity to dryout and crack due to UV light. OR do these zip ties have the UV protection?? I usually use S.S. screw clamps or the black zip ties thinking they all were UV protected but I found out they aren't! all zip ties aren't the same! BUT none the less , this is something I want todo eventually!
russau

PreviousNext

Return to General Prospecting