Russ’s Back Yard

Any information related to prospecting

Moderators: russau, Leonard

Re: Russ’s Back Yard

Postby micropedes1 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:00 pm

Just pulled back in to the driveway at home. Whew! What a whirlwind trip. My 20 foot trailer is piled high with wings, fuselage, motors, props, etc. All the necessary parts to BUILD an experimental craft. My mostly vacant machine shop is about to get a real project.

I would love to have a Dehaviland Beaver. Alas, $250-300K is outta my price range. Same for a Helios Courier at $160K. Dunno what y'all have been up to in the interim winter months while our gold mining equipment is slowly rusting away, but this old man has been completing an A&P aircraft certification. It is not like I am going to do it to make a living now that I am a certified old fart (maybe I am just certifiable). But it does put me in the unique position of working on my own craft. And the $8K that I spent this past weekend is a mere drop in the bucket compared to all the money that I have wasted on other hair-brained gold related schemes.

I dunno which is worse: building dredges that I cannot legally use or building planes that may never fly!
micropedes1

Postby russau » Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:31 am

Well a safe trip home is good news and a load of parts for a new project is nice also ! Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family and to all!
russau

Postby Joe S (AK) » Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:35 am

SEE! There you go! A certified source for acquired wisdom of the ages.

I thought that might pull LEONARD out from that early winter shell. :o

Joe
Wiser Mining Through Many, Many Personal Mistakes (OOPS, "Personal Learning Situations")
Joe S (AK)

Postby golden optimist » Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:13 am

I got your email Joe. I'm just slow in responding. One of these evenings.

Leonard
golden optimist
Site Admin

Postby OKJohn » Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:11 pm

This thread is old and cold, but I thought I would mention a point that was brought up.

I attended Parks College back in the '80s, and got my degree there. It closed its doors in the 2000s and folded into the St Louis University Frost Campus (west of downtown). I'm not sure if they still offer A&P training or maintain a flightline.

Back in the day, Parks was the best at aviation and related training. A lot of really good engineers, pilots, mechanics, and other professionals came out of that shop.

OKJohn
OKJohn

Previous

Return to General Prospecting