Gold Rush

Any information related to prospecting

Moderators: russau, Leonard

Re: Gold Rush

Postby nebraskadad » Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:48 pm

i have little doubt that at least 90% of the drama is contrived, the notion that the Hoffman's went to the Yukon last winter should have been writing on the wall.. I was ok with this the 1st couple of episode last year, but the drama is just a little too much to bear this time. I am grabbing it on DVR so I can speed through the 5 minute commercial for each two minutes of real program.

The fact that anyone would invest in a program like this for me comes down the source.. Discovery Channel Inc has a clear left leaning bent, these guys are attempting (in some cases succeeding) to make miners and hard working people look like slovenly oafs. I still have concerns Discovery / TLC Inc, is attempting to influence the anti-mining creed by deliberately making these guys look like total land stripping hairy apes.

If Kate Plus 8 was getting 500k per episode you know Hoffman and his crew aren't as destitute as they purport on the show.

The drama of not renewing the claim was done for dramatic effect. Oh and by the way we forgot to secure a water permit for the Yukon out of Todd's stupidity.. tada Discovery Inc, will come in for a rescue, and they will be working the Klondike after 2 months of screw ups AGAIN.

The bug of Holly-weird is making thing appear larger in the rear view mirror. While I enjoy seeing the operation and outcome I can do without the drama. Leave that to Jr. v. Sr. American Chopper, and Kate Plus Eighteen.

I've lost interest, Give me a Joey Wilson Prospector's Channel video and I am happy.
nebraskadad

Postby dickb » Fri Nov 04, 2011 2:26 pm

Don't forget there are 10 or more episodes already in the can. Mining season is all but over in the Northwest!

Enjoy the laughs, just don't expect to learn how to mine in AK or the Yukon.

Dickb
77 Retired and Free
Eastern Iowa
dickb

Postby DJR » Sat Nov 05, 2011 7:35 am

That is why there never will be a real "
Reality show" because for most individuals Reality is boring as hell
Only the Educated are Free.
Epictetus, Roman philosopher
DJR

Postby Sierra Sam » Sat Nov 05, 2011 3:14 pm

Had to chime in. Fast forwarded through episode 2 of the "new" series, as I did for ALL the episodes of the old series. I'm wondering if they'll try to work in one of the Kardashians to boost ratings. :lol:

I did enjoy the kid working his grandpa's claim. Now he'd I watch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KS-dTDXR_IE
Sierra Sam

Postby DJR » Sat Nov 05, 2011 5:28 pm

Sierra Sam wrote:Had to chime in. Fast forwarded through episode 2 of the "new" series, as I did for ALL the episodes of the old series. I'm wondering if they'll try to work in one of the Kardashians to boost ratings. :lol:

I did enjoy the kid working his grandpa's claim. Now he'd I watch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KS-dTDXR_IE

Hey Maybe they can have a Bedrock Wedding, it got them Kardashians a lot of moolah.
Only the Educated are Free.
Epictetus, Roman philosopher
DJR

Postby russau » Sat Nov 05, 2011 7:20 pm

heck i was hopeing theyd hire some of the gals that advertised/ran the Honcoop highbanker for thier video. heck id even like tobe the gals makeup guy!
russau

Postby Bonaro » Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:34 pm

http://dsc.discovery.com/videos/gold-ru ... ow-videos/

Well, it seems the lease was being voided and the claim was offered for sale publicly when Fred bought it.
Hoffmans fumbled, Fred recovered and the old owner got a big payday :D
Bonaro

Postby Sierra Sam » Sun Nov 06, 2011 7:27 am

In the first series, wasn't the old guy brought in as a consultant by the land owner? And wasn't the old guy a friend of the owner of the property? And wasn't it the fact that the owner decided NOT to extend the lease on the claim the reason the idiots had to move on?

Seems to me I was thinking at the time, that it was mighty clever for the owner to have the idiots dig where he told them to dig, then, after they'd spent their wad removing the overburden, all he (owner) had to do was break out his dredge after the next spring thaw! :lol:

I'm sure I wasn't the only one thinking that same thing. It's like inviting friends to spend the weekend trying their hand at prospecting on your claim, knowing full well they'd only have time to dig closer to bedrock, but never get there. Then, you go back to the hole they've so eagerly dug and reap the harvest.

Of course, then you;d have to sit back and wait for karma to play catch-up. :roll:

But then, I'm old and could very well have my recollections all screwed up. :?
Sierra Sam

Postby tcfifer » Sun Nov 06, 2011 7:39 pm

I noticed that GR is starting to have an Ice Road Truckers feel to it. Instead of being exclusively about the Hoffman's saga, now it's divided into three parts between them, Dakota Fred and his bunch, and the young up and comer trying to fill his g-pa's boots. 3 for the price of one...makes for good TV.

BTW, I'm convinced that the same bunch that thinks this crap is real, most likely follows pro wrestling too. Just a thought...

TC
tcfifer

Postby pickaxe » Sun Nov 06, 2011 7:52 pm

Is this what Gold Mining has degraded to? Watching a TV show?
pickaxe

PreviousNext

Return to General Prospecting