Propane conversion

Any information related to prospecting

Moderators: russau, Leonard

Propane conversion

Postby Bonaro » Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:10 pm

The environmentalists have many issues with dredgers one being refueling in the water and the possibility of spilling gas.

I have been researching LP gas conversion for small engines and I am about to order a retrofit kit to convert my 11hp Honda dredge motor. I see the pro's being a much cleaner fuel with no spills, easy refueling and cheaper fuel cost.

Does anyone have any experience with propane conversion of small governor controlled engines?
Bonaro

Re: Propane conversion

Postby Hoser John » Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:10 am

$5 cookie sheet,4 holes and under the engine she goes and no problems ever or spills no place-KISS keep it simple-John
Hoser John

Postby Bonaro » Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:55 pm

Hoser, that solves the spill problem but I am looking at this from several points of view.
No stale fuel from storage
No ethanol issues
more reliability
quieter operation
longer life
Bonaro

Postby Hoser John » Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:50 am

If that were true then why has it not become a standard ?? Where is this proof quieter or cleaner?Never had stale fuel in my life? That's why I've read Consumers Reports for over 30 years-if anything were better,cheaper or quieter then why has the motorcycle,lawnmover,edgers,tractors etc etc not done it? Just saying to thyne own self be true as better technology would already be embraced as a engine is a engine and a better system would be long in use as gas crisis goes back to the early 70=40+ years. Would love to see one in the field as ya never know as gasoline companies trillions suppress knowledge to protect their stranglehold on the world :? My great friend Jim Morris has a long van made during the gas crisis that ran on propane and he changed it back to gas. I'll give him a call today ,always a fantastic chat and extreme techie, to see who,what and why of propane. -John
Hoser John

Postby Ornery Cuss » Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:20 pm

Because of the strangle hold big oil has on us, we are geared to gasoline, that's the only reason, and the fact that propane is not "convenient".
I will say, propane is cleaner to operate in an internal combustion engine in relation to oil fouling.
On the other side, propane has less btu rating than gasoline, thus lower horse power overall.
Will that show up on your dredge setup.....unlikely, if you are not running your motor full out. If you wernt, you may have to if you make the conversion. :ugeek:
Quieter ? doubtful.

OC
So much river...So little time
Ornery Cuss

Postby Bonaro » Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:26 pm

I have done a lot of reading on this...
Propane is not more common because it is not as convenient as gasoline. Gas stations are on every corner and a small town may only have on place to buy propane and getting it requires help from an attendant. Who wants to hunt for a propane vendor during business hours when they can stop and safeway and fill up? For a car, gas makes a lot of sense but for my dredge, I can refill small LP bottles in camp from a 25 pound tank and 25 pounds will probably last me 3-4 days at least. In that time I will be running to town for ice anyway.

Gas has issues with potential spills, limited shelf life and ethanol causes havoc in small engines
Propane cant be spilled and can be stored indefinitely.
Propane is cleaner burning because it is already gaseous when burned and the result is far fewer emissions. This is why indoor forklifts usually run propane or electric but never gas or diesel.

Propane has less energy than gas but I don't run the dredge at full throttle anyway. The fuel consumption may be a bit greater but LP is cheaper than gas so that should be a wash.

Hoser, I am interested in what your friend has to say
Bonaro

Postby russau » Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:16 am

my only drawback to LP is the added weight (30 lbs.) that would be added to my 4 in. dredge. ive worked a lot on reduceing its weight, so I don't want to add more now. but everything else about it sounds good!
russau

Postby Hoser John » Wed Sep 03, 2014 4:56 am

Jim was not impressed with the letdown in horsepower,especially at altitude and much harder to find than gas. Cost was a factor as in kalif it even costs more than gasoline. So between much more consumption and cost he figured he'd go back to gas and says he'd never go back.. He still has that righteous campervan,amazing. Don't know if you saw tnet post but America Power makes propane generators so might be a source of real time repair folks. As all info mfgrs hype but repair /service folks MUCH more truthful. I must absolutely agree with Russ on weight as I used a ZODI heater for hot water for a season and that bloody 5 gallon propane tank was a pain to float/balance on my dredge. Vacation over ,back home already Russau??---John
Hoser John

Postby Bonaro » Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:55 pm

The weight of a 25 pound propane tank would be the same as fitting your dredge with a 5 gallon fuel tank....too big
My idea was to make a manifold that I could screw about 3 of those camp bottles into, that should be about a days fuel needs
The bottles could be changed on the fly

Propane-Containers-copy-996x996 (Large) (Small).jpg
Propane-Containers-copy-996x996 (Large) (Small).jpg (26.67 KiB) Viewed 4995 times
Bonaro

Postby russau » Thu Sep 04, 2014 5:04 am

Yep John I got home Wen. afternoon. had to cut it short! I didn't even get to go drinking with Leonard!:(:(
russau

Next

Return to General Prospecting