Peshastin Creek

Any information related to prospecting

Moderators: russau, Leonard

Peshastin Creek

Postby libertydave » Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:49 pm

Took the day off today...went up with a friend to WA's Peshastin Creek for some gold mining. Claim location is in the North Cascade Mountains about a 115 mile drive east from Seattle.

Weather was clear, bright and sunny, light wind and it was a perfect day for enjoying this location. found a few nice pieces in first pan. Mechanical mining season here is over here so we used one of Keene's new folding portable sluices that has the rubber riffle trays. the sluice is self cleaning and kept the gold in first couple of riffles. Did a lot of digging and ran several buckets of cons. All in all we found nice color...some flakes...mostly small pieces and fines.

Noticed that most of the larger mining operations up near Liberty are still going strong and one located just off of Highway 197 has cut the hillside back another hundred feet. That's moving a lot of dirt.

Liberty Dave
libertydave

Re: Peshastin Creek

Postby Hoser John » Tue Oct 14, 2014 5:30 am

:D Great way to spend the day -John
Hoser John

Postby Bonaro » Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:00 pm

If you go upstream of Negro creek the season is August 1 - February 28
Bonaro

Postby libertydave » Wed Oct 15, 2014 1:25 pm

Thanks, Dan

Going up again tomorrow. LD
libertydave

Postby Bonaro » Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:18 pm

I was up there several times this year. My prize for the first trip was a horseshoe...and a bit of gold ;)
Second trip was more of a bust. Spent a lot of time and energy clearing the pesky overburden off only to find a Mt. Dew can in the bottom :?
BSGM 049 (Medium) (Small).JPG
BSGM 049 (Medium) (Small).JPG (94.56 KiB) Viewed 5336 times
Bonaro

Postby libertydave » Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:27 am

Went up again yesterday and mined on NAMA's Preshastin Creek claim in a spot about 200' down from the newly constructed Blewitt Rd. bridge. Went with two friends..."cheechackos" who had never previously prospected/mined. Spent the day digging lots of buckets and sluicing in the sunny weather. Results...found some nails, a rusty hinge and about thirty colors, four flakes and one tiny nugget.

Dan, thanks for the tip on Negro Creek. I believe I know the location. FYI, I've worked this site for nearly thirty years and while the gold has been spotty I've always enjoyed this claim. Highway turnoff (at Scotty Creek Rd. sign) is a nice place to camp.

LD
libertydave

Postby russau » Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:12 am

Dan did you look inside the M-D can for any gold? could have washed down with the winter runoffs???
russau

Postby Bonaro » Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:47 pm

Russ,
I have a different approach...I paid a lot of money for my dredge and spent a lot of time training it how to catch gold. Everything goes up the hose and I expect the dredge to sort out the gold. The MD can popped out he back so it am confident it held no gold. 8-)

LD,
I was a couple miles downstream from scotty cr...not enough gold on Scotty to keep my attention. Isn't that the old BEPSI claim?
Bonaro

Postby libertydave » Sat Oct 18, 2014 3:35 pm

Dan...I believe you are correct, the Scotty creek claim is/was owned by the Boeing Employees Prospectors Society (BEPSI) which is now NAMA. They also have claims on Negro, Peshastin and Swauk Creeks and more down in SW Oregon.

LD
libertydave

Postby bill-costa rica » Sat Oct 18, 2014 5:31 pm

good memories from that area, spent many a weekend at the camping area on the road to Scotty creek in the early 70;s, found a bit of gold too. that is when I first started dredging and was using a 2 ½ in Keene. I think that was the most fun I ever had dredging. like I said good memories, thanks for bringing them back.

bill/cr
bill-costa rica

Next

Return to General Prospecting