Drywashing with the Golden Optimist

Any information related to prospecting

Moderators: russau, Leonard

Drywashing with the Golden Optimist

Postby golden optimist » Sat Jan 30, 2010 3:46 pm

In honor of the new forum, I'll tell a tale of days gone by. The many of shots of Evan Williams whiskey I've had will help me out.

Most of you know me as a dredger but there was a time many years ago, I made a drywashing trip to Arizona. That was to meet the famous Billbrew and Grivy. The BBMG!

Kids, don't read any further. The BBMG, as Bill and Mike called themselves, stood for Big Balls Mining Group. I traveled down to arizona to spend 2 weeks under their tutolage to learn desert prospecting. Things like how to get busted by the BLM stealing a BLM sign saying "Don't steal this sign", how to survive 114 degree heat, drywashing at night, and other important things. If you make it to Douglas Creek this year, ask for more explanation.

The heros of this trip are shown below. Notice the highly fashonable Golden optimist in shorts and black socks.
realcrew1.jpg
GO, a forgotton Arizona prospecting legend, Billbrew, and Grivy
realcrew1.jpg (30.04 KiB) Viewed 3970 times

Here we are celebrating another night after surviving the over 110 degree heat of the day. Bill you will recognize by the beer glass, Grivy actually isn't drunk even if he looks like it. I've never seen Mike drink anything other than Dr. Pepper. Bill and Mike really saved us. They brought us cold beer and ice every night and hung out with us as we drank Bill's great beer. Anyone that has partaken of it, know what I mean.
realcrew2.jpg
The crew hanging out. The fire really wasn't needed as it was probably 90 degrees. It provided the light and the ambiance
realcrew2.jpg (18.29 KiB) Viewed 3970 times

Because of the heat, many nights we drywashed after dark by lantern light. That way it was only around 85 to 90 degrees while we were working.
realcrew3.jpg
Bill and Grivy feeding the drywasher. The 2 of them were really hard core shoveling machines
realcrew3.jpg (14.12 KiB) Viewed 3970 times

They are really hitting it hard and feeding the Gold King. It would handle all 3-4 shovelers could put into it.
realcrew4.jpg
Bill and Grivy hard at work
realcrew4.jpg (17.76 KiB) Viewed 3970 times

We did work a few days also. Here Tom is watching while Bill and Grivy shovel. Us Gringo's from Colorado had a hard time surviving the heat.
realcrew5.jpg
Tom watching, Bill and Grivy working
realcrew5.jpg (51.75 KiB) Viewed 3970 times

Here's the hard working group at our campsite. We couldn't have had better hosts. They showed us where to go, they came back every evening with cold beer and ice, and sat around and bs'd with us every night. Further details will have to be passed on in person at some future event.
realcrew6.jpg
The illustrious crew spending another great evening together
realcrew6.jpg (31.51 KiB) Viewed 3970 times

I couldn't print any story of the trip without including this picture. This really needs a lot of explanation. Next time you are with me after a few drinks, ask me about Grivy sitting on the shitter at Lake Havasu.
realcrew7.jpg
Grivy doing what I don't need to explain. Never trust the Golden Optimist when he is holding a camera!
realcrew7.jpg (27.19 KiB) Viewed 3970 times

Thats all I have to say right now. There is a lott of explanation but you have to join the CCC at any outting around a campfire to get "The rest of the story" If you aren't carefull, you may be included in "The Rest of the story"
golden optimist
Site Admin

Re: Drywashing with the Golden Optimist

Postby El Dorado » Sat Jan 30, 2010 6:10 pm

I looked at those drywashing pics and could feel the grit in my teeth!
El Dorado

Postby CalGoldDredger » Sat Jan 30, 2010 7:04 pm

Hey Thanks for the reinforcement. ;)
Yep, I will pass on the dust and heat and just stick to below the water line for my searchn'.

John
CalGoldDredger

Postby russau » Sat Jan 30, 2010 8:28 pm

you havent been out untill youve been out with Leonard and the CCC guys!
russau

Postby CalGoldDredger » Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:11 pm

Someday Russ, I might be of that caliber but until then I have a long list of goals. 8-)
CalGoldDredger

Postby Hoser John » Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:14 am

:shock: #1 rule of drywashing--ALWAYS WEAR A DUST MASK to prevent the deadly Valley Fever. I've lost a half dozen of my desert ratz buddies to this ungodly disease. The CDC states emphatically that it has exploded and is reaching massive levels. Party on guys--albeit safely-tons a au 2 u 2 -John :?
Hoser John

Postby geno » Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:26 pm

Joining the CCC is a relatively easy process.... no long forms to fillm out, no cash dues to pay... Just honor the code, the camp and the fellow members ... and you are in... dishonor any of the above and you can go home
Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
Marcie Foleyhttp://www.campgeno.com
geno

Postby golden optimist » Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:15 pm

It also helps if you like to induldge in either a quality beer, no Budweiser allowed, or a good whiskey. We like to party after the work is done. Enjoying a good cigar around the campfire is optional. I will, you don't have to.
Leonard
golden optimist
Site Admin

Return to General Prospecting