Water

Any information related to prospecting

Moderators: russau, Leonard

Water

Postby golden optimist » Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:09 am

Hey Russ. Hows the water in your area? Hopefully you are on high ground or your aren't in a flood area.
Leonard
golden optimist
Site Admin

Re: Water

Postby dickb » Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:38 pm

I'll jump in here. I am about 100 feet above the river on the bluff, so no problem with the river for me. Although my back yard is in the creek flood plane it's not a problem.
As for Russ, all the flooding he has to worry about is if he gets to frisky in the hot tub. :D
He is up on the bluff a long ways from the river. Now bullets are a different problem. :shock:

Dickb

This photo was taken on St Patrick's day and the water there is about 3' deeper today. If you look past the trees you see a fence line with the posts sticking out of the water. That is the edge of the river bank under normal river flows. This is taken just below Lock and Dam # 15 at Rock Island Ill. Were suppose to see this flooding most of the Spring till all the snow up North melts. Oh yea.
Last edited by dickb on Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
77 Retired and Free
Eastern Iowa
dickb

Postby russau » Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:41 pm

Dick is right ! If flooding ever gets to me the entire U.S.A. should also be looking for a boat ride. Leonard would be O.K. where he lives assuming he is NOT out taking pictures of the wildlife in the lowlands. :D All I need to be concerned with is bullets , vandals , and riots that persist in this end of Misery ! :roll:
russau

Postby golden optimist » Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:05 am

Good to hear. Matt moved to get away from hurricanes but now has tornadoes. We had a tornado about 30 miles away the other day. We found 2 more bald eagle nests yesterday with resident eagles. We have about 5 nests occupied around here now.
Leonard
golden optimist
Site Admin

Postby russau » Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:43 am

HMMMMMMMMM?? Looks like them birds are keeping a eye on you! :D
russau

Postby Matt Mattson » Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:27 pm

golden optimist wrote:Good to hear. Matt moved to get away from hurricanes but now has tornadoes. We had a tornado about 30 miles away the other day. We found 2 more bald eagle nests yesterday with resident eagles. We have about 5 nests occupied around here now.
Leonard

At this point I'm not sure what we did. We moved in, in time for the coldest winter in 30 years . . . and to find this little cabin had no calk in it. We had two propane heaters going 24/7 and were wearing our winter clothes the same amount of time (inside). In my 20's, would have been fun. Winter is over, we're calking like mad (Walmart bags a Godsend for big cracks) and then comes Hurricane Michael, strongest hurricane they've ever had. We're just slightly out of the official tornado belt, but when I go to Eufaula and see the wreck of the airport (17 miles away) I take little comfort in that. On the plus side, if we get 4 cars going by it must be rush hour, the fishing is superb, and property taxes are almost non-existent.

Our Experience: Hurricane Michael: https://youtu.be/uinwxlRv4Ts
Matt Mattson

Postby dickb » Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:39 pm

Hello Matt and Connie:

No fun going through storms like that.
My Daughter got a lot of the rain also over by Lake Wylie, near Clover, SC. I would say your about 350 air miles from where she is at. Looks like you have a nice place on the Lake and some good fishing grounds for sure.

Dickb
77 Retired and Free
Eastern Iowa
dickb

Postby Hoser John » Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:33 am

What a change in our lives. Seems like nowhere to get away from horrendous weather. Feets a rain and worst heavy snow tore all my trees to shreds. Crushed my foot with a widow maker limb and life is meaner than hades since. Sorry to hear your plight Matt as you and Connie sure have been run outta place after place by nature. God bless ya one and all as we brace for yet another round of storms....John
Hoser John

Postby Joe S (AK) » Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:08 am

John,

"What Doesn't Kill You Makes You Stronger".

Get right back up there and get back in the fighting again!

All the best -

Joe
Wiser Mining Through Many, Many Personal Mistakes (OOPS, "Personal Learning Situations")
Joe S (AK)

Postby nebraskadad » Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:56 am

Water is still standing around in some places here . This weekend they are talking about a snow storm 1-2' up in the area where we lost a dam in Nebraska. I've seen flooding before in Nebraska, but never on the levels we've had.
the Corp of Engineers is still saying we have run off from Montana, Wyoming and Dakotas that still has to melt.

the losses to the farmers is the worst of it, here at work we have a little educational farm down on the missouri. The levee broke, and they lost a couple donkeys and a Llama that the had been on the farm for a decade.
My daughter has a friend, whose family lost in the neighborhood of 300 head of cattle to the ice. Based on losses in the farming community anticipate higher beef prices for several years.
nebraskadad

Next

Return to General Prospecting