Attempting to break the "dry spell" in posting.

Any information related to prospecting

Moderators: russau, Leonard

Attempting to break the "dry spell" in posting.

Postby Jim_Alaska » Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:14 am

This is the post I made on the New 49'ers forums last year, so it is two years old. I told our new forum member, DaveL, I would repost this if I could find it because he likes cleaning bedrock cracks also.

OK here's the recount of my mining in an old hydraulic pit last summer. Even though the New 49'ers club motto is "miners helping miners", I am not going to reveal the location I was working. This is not because I am hoarding it to myself, anyone else can work there that finds it. I would personally like to see more members out on the claims prospecting for good places. There are a lot of claims that go untouched for years at a time, this place I worked was one of them.

We have to remember that many claims were used mainly for suction dredging, so many members don't even think of them for mining out of the water. In any event although this claim is very accessible, people just don't even think to try it out to see if there is anything worth working for. I was at first looking at this section of the claim for nugget shooting. I didn't find anything with the detector except the usual square nails, boot tacks and lead shot.

But what caught my eye was that in many places in the hydraulic pit there was a lot of ancient bedrock, some of it quite high since this was the bottom of the river at one time. As I looked over this situation I saw many cracks and crevices. So I though this might just be a good place to crevice.

I came back with a whole pile of crevice tools, most of which are home made, chisels, hammers and my gas vac.
Of course because I am basically lazy I concentrated on cracks and crevices that could be easily scraped out. The exposed bedrock was not very extensive so it was not long before I had worked it to where the only method left was the hammer and chisel the larger cracks open. This was hard work and it got really hot on those rocks once it hit ten o'clock in the morning, so I usually quit about that time.

This kind of mining takes a lot of time, it is not for the faint-earthed or those not willing to work hard for their gold. I even pried apart some impressive slabs of bedrock with a six foot bar and even at times a hydraulic jack. Some of the slabs I couldn't move out of the way by lifting so I had to just pry them aside with a long bar.

There is no water to be had close by so I simply dry classified what came out of the cracks and ran the remainder through LeTrap sluice in a small creek on another day. So, all in all it was hard work, but I could see with every clean-up that I was getting good enough gold to keep working and keep me interested. I will say that I didn't get rich doing this, but did get what I consider good gold for my efforts.

If club members would just get out on their own or with a friend and do some real looking around on claims that have been neglected by many, they might just be rewarded with a golden surprise.

So, with that said, I will post a picture of some results I got last summer doing this.

Last edited by Jim_Alaska on Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jim_Alaska
Property and Mining Rights Advocate
Klamath River, California
foley4086@gmail.com
Jim_Alaska

Re: Attempting tto break the "dry spell" in posting.

Postby russau » Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:23 pm

Very nice Jim!!
russau

Re: Attempting tto break the "dry spell" in posting.

Postby nebraskadad » Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:51 pm

Nice stuff Jim.
Hope some day to make it up to NorCal.
nebraskadad

Re: Attempting to break the "dry spell" in posting.

Postby Joe S (AK) » Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:50 pm

Jim,

"Rabbit Hole"?

Joe
Wiser Mining Through Many, Many Personal Mistakes (OOPS, "Personal Learning Situations")
Joe S (AK)

Postby Jim_Alaska » Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:59 pm

Joe S (AK) wrote:Jim,

"Rabbit Hole"?

Joe

Yes old friend, I remember the rabbit hole, but no gold. lol
Jim_Alaska
foley4086@gmail.com
Jim_Alaska

Postby Joe S (AK) » Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:01 pm

Jim,

All that Gold seems to be flat - rounded flat or Corn Flake shaped flat-ish. Is that typical for the area? :?:

I rarely see those specific shapes with that level of consistency, and I'm wondering if it is is just something Northern Californ-ish for bedrock cracks.

Joe
Wiser Mining Through Many, Many Personal Mistakes (OOPS, "Personal Learning Situations")
Joe S (AK)

Postby Jim_Alaska » Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:18 pm

It does seem typical for our area from that I have seen. Gold that comes from creeks and smaller rivers can be any shape and color.
Jim_Alaska
foley4086@gmail.com
Jim_Alaska

Return to General Prospecting