Favorite Dredge?

Any information related to prospecting

Moderators: russau, Leonard

Favorite Dredge?

Postby libertydave » Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:42 pm

Like all of you out there...I've too seen so many different gold dredges, literally hundreds of them...with different brands, models, various sizes and even some with very unusual modifications and innovative configurations, also power-jets and suction nozzle units, home-builts, you might call a few the "good, the bad and the ugly"...doesn't really matter, only that they worked.

So....here is your opportunity to share your thoughts on this subject with other readers out there. Care to post your favorite dredge model and size along with a brief description? To start this along, my favorite dredge (with best results) was a modified 1985 Keene 6-inch dredge with a 16 HP Vanguard engine. This was back in 1988-1992 and I used it mostly on the NF Yuba and Klamath Rivers.

Now, let's hear about yours???

Regards, Dave
libertydave

Re: Favorite Dredge?

Postby russau » Sun Feb 02, 2020 2:20 pm

My favorite dredge was my ole home built 4 inch dredge. I built everything for it except the engine and the floats. It was 1/2 the weight of any other 4 in. dredge . I had it for 10 year and sold it when I hurt my back and knees awhile back. after fiddling around I got feeling better and bought Leonard's dredge and equipment I had BIG plans for it and was in the process of building a 5 inch subbie . My back got feeling worse and I got rid of that and hated doing so even to today !!! Some thing's are just real hard to give up !
russau

Postby OKJohn » Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:22 am

I owned a Keene 4 inch triple stage for many years, and put hundreds of hours on that nozzle. Loved it. Lots of mods to catch fine gold, but it worked well.

But recently I switched to a Keene mini-4. It is a simple single stage. Quite a bit lighter, but same suction. Again, I gutted the box and modified it for my needs. But I like it better.

Lighter, smaller, cheaper, simpler - but same suction and gravel-moving ability. I think it is a better solution.

OKJohn
OKJohn

Postby getterdone » Tue Feb 18, 2020 2:11 pm

Ben 1.JPG
Ben 1.JPG (106.64 KiB) Viewed 3614 times
Well my first dredge was a 3 inch I made everything except the Motor & pump . I had a flared box which I still think was the best.
Didn't even have a wet suit or Air that first year. Damn I got a lot of gold. Then I bought a used 4 inch crash box that I am still using
18 years later. If the Court don't run us off the river this year I will try to do it one more time this year. Hope to get my Back surgery in March
so I will be all healed up. Built a need sled to put the dredge in and out of the river and this spring will finish the small wood boat to
get back & forth on the river.
getterdone

Postby russau » Tue Feb 18, 2020 2:20 pm

Good luck on the back surgery ! I've been fighting 3 herniated discs for at least 15 years now , I'm to cheap to have it repaired !! I had a few friends have it done and they said they wish they didn't have it done ! SSOOOOO what can a guy say! :roll:
russau

Postby getterdone » Tue Feb 18, 2020 2:26 pm

Mae 2.JPG
Mae 2.JPG (116.09 KiB) Viewed 3616 times
For got to mention I turned 80 last year. But my wife who is a little older enjoys panning out what I find.
We just go and dry camp for a couple weeks. Use to be 2 months but not any more. We gave up skiing this year mainly because the wife had shoulder
surgery in Jan. and I am waiting on my back surgery. Just need to add a side note on my back problem,the MRI showed arthritis in my lower back from a old injury.
I think I cured the arthritis after applying DMSO twice a day for 2 months. From advice from a Doctor I applied CBD oil to the same area as that is now
legal here in WA. You can now get the DMSO in a roll on. In the 50's you would have been hard pushed to find a logger who didn't have DMSO in his
lunch box. Jusy a FYI
getterdone

Postby getterdone » Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:18 pm

Finally found the picture I was looking for, Went dredging with someone else in 2001, decided
I need to build a dredge. It was 3", No air & I didn't have a wet suit. But I did get a lot of gold. The
floats were Styrofoam warped with Fiberglass. The crash Box had a pretty wide flare at the outlet.
Attachments
BENS DREDRGE.jpg
BENS DREDRGE.jpg (89.88 KiB) Viewed 3589 times
getterdone

Postby getterdone » Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:54 pm

2 years ago my B&S motor locked up on me while I was dredging & I went down to a local shop that sells B&S
and got another motor. After the season was over I was talking with my mechanic & told him what happen.
He said they have a plastic gear inside the motor & it probable brook. Sure enough that what happen, For less then $20
got a new plastic gear & installed it. Now I have a back motor.
getterdone

Postby russau » Sun Feb 23, 2020 5:54 am

CONGRATS ! :D
russau

Postby Bonaro » Tue May 05, 2020 11:38 pm

Miss this one...
Attachments
Dredge_01 (Small).JPG
Dredge_01 (Small).JPG (77.62 KiB) Viewed 3019 times
Dredge_04 (Small).JPG