My Dry Diggins!!

Any information related to prospecting

Moderators: russau, Leonard

Re: My Dry Diggins!!

Postby Stumpdust » Mon Jun 28, 2021 6:50 pm

I will go out and re do filling my 1 ounce gold bottle, dont need any other examples, have a good one!
Stumpdust

Postby LipCa » Tue Jun 29, 2021 9:52 am

Nice to see you are finding some gold.... But why put it in glass vials with water?
First and last time I dropped a vial full of gold, I was able to vacuum up most all of it. Had it been full of water, it would have been a different story.... let it dry, I guess.
Since have gone to small plastic pill bottles and put it in them dry. If I want to show it, I pour it into a pan. once dry, it stays dry.
LipCa

Postby Joe S (AK) » Tue Jul 06, 2021 11:21 am

Hey Harry!

Any glass vial with Gold in it will break (Duuhhh!). Thin Glass and very dense (heavy) Gold just don't play well together.

Years ago (after I swept the warehouse floor and re-panned all that) I decided to change my ways of doing things. I prefer to carry my Gold in (usually) water - and so I took an empty plastic pill bottle and put the vial inside that "containment". Works really well for me since occasionally there is the OMG! :roll: thing.

For those of us in colder climates storing Gold in water will, eventually, result in the water freezing, the glass vial shattering, and when warmer temperatures come along - Gold everywhere. A pill bottle containment also works there --- but --- simply changing the water to rubbing alcohol makes for a great anti-freeze answer.

All the best!

- Joe-
Wiser Mining Through Many, Many Personal Mistakes (OOPS, "Personal Learning Situations")
Joe S (AK)

Postby russau » Fri Jul 09, 2021 11:30 am

When you go by Joe's recommendation of putting alcohol into your gold vile to prevent freezing you do 2 things. 1) obviously you will prevent the vile from freezing up. 2) in slow or bad times you could get a snoot full and nobody will notice ! :D
russau

Postby Joe S (AK) » Fri Jul 09, 2021 4:11 pm

Gold stuck in your teeth - a dead give away.

Unless, of course, you C O U L D store your Gold in a "Fifth" BOTTLE and only pour a little bit from the clear upper layer through a clean 100 mesh classifier into a 'genteel sippin' glass'. :P

- Joe -
Wiser Mining Through Many, Many Personal Mistakes (OOPS, "Personal Learning Situations")
Joe S (AK)

Postby russau » Sat Jul 10, 2021 6:27 am

:D :D :D
russau

Previous

Return to General Prospecting