Hot weather

Any information related to prospecting

Moderators: russau, Leonard

Hot weather

Postby golden optimist » Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:24 pm

With all the 90-100 degree weather sure do miss the high country weather and laying face down in Douglas Creek. Also the good times around the campfire. I guess I just need to remember all the dredging trips where I took off and left the wife and kids home taking care of the place while I ran around and had fun.
Leonard

gloryholedef.gif
gloryholedef.gif (247.22 KiB) Viewed 1897 times

edboulderfield.gif
edboulderfield.gif (325.24 KiB) Viewed 1897 times
golden optimist
Site Admin

Re: Hot weather

Postby Joe S (AK) » Thu Jul 09, 2020 6:05 pm

72 here in Idaho right now. 70s and low 80s in the heat of the day for the next 10 days.

Be grateful for what'cha got - Winter's coming! :lol:

Joe
Last edited by Joe S (AK) on Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wiser Mining Through Many, Many Personal Mistakes (OOPS, "Personal Learning Situations")
Joe S (AK)

Postby russau » Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:40 pm

Mid to upper 90's for the second week in a row! FORGET ABOUT THE HUMMIDITY ,it's even worse ! YEP sure do miss those days and all the friends !
russau

Postby libertydave » Fri Jul 10, 2020 7:16 pm

Russ, First photo sure reminds me of the Umpqua in Oregon southward right off the River's West campground on the right. Fond memories of that place during DEF in 2001-02.
LD
libertydave

Postby russau » Sat Jul 11, 2020 3:08 am

Agreed Dave ! That was my first thought when I saw it ! Back then I was all set up and planning to go to that Rally (while off from work for medical) and the company I worked for said that I only get 3 days off work while mending and back to work! Well that dashed my plans to drive up there and go dredging!
russau

Postby libertydave » Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:34 pm

Hi Russ...

So sorry you missed DEF because those rally events were each quite an adventure and some of my most fun dredging adventures. We got lucky on the Umpqua River and found a diagonal bedrock dike laying under three feet of overburden about a half-mile south from the RV park. Our best day was 17.3 dwt. with a 4" dredge. I wrote an article about the 2002 event that's still in old copies of "Jerry Keene's Prospector's Digest". Call up Mark at Keene Engrg. I bet he still has some copies laying around the shop. As for the gold I know that a few others got lots more...right Matt?

But I recall that hands down the most fun times were the evening rally events. We were camped next to 'Grivy' and 'Kimmy Poo' who made the best Mexican food. Also there was the good food and the laughter and feeling numb from drinking a lot of Bill Brew's beer. I'll never forget those events.

Cheers! LD
libertydave

Postby russau » Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:21 am

Yep , I agree with me missing the "EVENT of the Year !"
russau

Postby Matt Mattson » Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:16 pm

libertydave wrote:Hi Russ...

So sorry you missed DEF because those rally events were each quite an adventure and some of my most fun dredging adventures. We got lucky on the Umpqua River and found a diagonal bedrock dike laying under three feet of overburden about a half-mile south from the RV park. Our best day was 17.3 dwt. with a 4" dredge. I wrote an article about the 2002 event that's still in old copies of "Jerry Keene's Prospector's Digest". Call up Mark at Keene Engrg. I bet he still has some copies laying around the shop. As for the gold I know that a few others got lots more...right Matt?

But I recall that hands down the most fun times were the evening rally events. We were camped next to 'Grivy' and 'Kimmy Poo' who made the best Mexican food. Also there was the good food and the laughter and feeling numb from drinking a lot of Bill Brew's beer. I'll never forget those events.

Cheers! LD

I personally witnessed a guy with 2 hours of budgeted dredge time slip into "the spot" and dredge opposite everyone else (that is the front side of the rock) come out, and we ran his cons through a spiral wheel and his take was 2 2 ounce vials full. It's still good even with hand tools. The "spots" to look for:

https://youtu.be/1nYRRgOEpLo

Just a matter of going there and working it out.
Matt Mattson

Postby libertydave » Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:40 pm

Hi Matt...
Your presentation was very interesting and it effectively covered a lot of the Umpqua River region and its extensive gold history. Well done, Matt. Thanks for doing all the research and for sharing your knowledge. I suppose however, we'll be leaving it to those younger people who may one day be able to dredge or high-bank again in Oregon. For my age and all of Oregon's environmentalist over-regulation I don't think it will be in my lifetime. Too bad!!

I and several friends dredged on the South Fork Umpqua from 2001 until 2012. Each of us found gold...some a lot and some not so much...but no one got got skunked. Still I miss the ease of access, the enjoyment of the adventure and the sight of small gold going up the gold wheel each evening. I also miss the pleasure of the company of those who were there at DEF Rallies.

Liberty Dave
libertydave

Postby russau » Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:38 am

As always ,a very good presentation by Matt ! I wish I could be there now dredging :D !
russau

Return to General Prospecting