Gold Camp Cook

Any information related to prospecting

Moderators: russau, Leonard

Re: Gold Camp Cook

Postby libertydave » Wed Mar 30, 2022 1:49 pm

Giving up my long unused tent trailer to one of my wife's kids. That old trailer served me well on many mining trips but for years it has only been taking up space behind the garage.

While cleaning it out this morning I found a plastic tub inside the bunk storage with a jar of pickles and two packages of "Tuna Helper".

The pickles looked okay but the "Tuna Helper" was stamped..."Best if used before November 15, 2009". Oops!

LD
libertydave

Re: Gold Camp Cook

Postby Joe S (AK) » Thu Mar 31, 2022 7:44 pm

Dave - something I have found out over the years -

There used to be an "Expiration Date" which roughly corresponded with the end of "Shelf Life". That originally meant to throw the product out.

Then the manufacturers really got to liking seeing themselves strutting in their mirrors so they decided to change the terminology to "Use By Date" which was pretty much the same in meaning but sounded so much better.

Then, wishing to sound ever-so-more-cool they came up with "Best By Date". The "Best By" really had an up-beat, catchy sound -- but buried down deep the bean counters and Legal Eagles had pushed for the "Best" wording for a specifically targeted reason. "Best By Date" now defines the limit that the manufacturer will warrant the product for full refund or replacement as well as any liability just evaporated due to public perception.

As a sad comment on corporate greed hiding behind expiration dates (by all their names), I have seen "Shelf Life Expiration Dates" on nylon rope, oil, grease, wire, 100% metallic replacement parts and many other things that the manufacturer just didn't ever want to see come back to them again. I have eaten many canned food products (C Rations) from WW II over my military career and they were JUST as good as way back then. Back in the time of my youth I even smoked Lucky Strike Cigarettes from "I Shall Return" C Ration packs that were over 40 years old. When I worked for United Airlines I was granted permission to take home 5 gallon buckets of White Lithium Grease (Aircraft Grade!) that had "expired their shelf life" and could not be used. (((Oh Yeah, I did use that grease and all my friends did too.)))

Dried, sealed food like rice, beans, pasta and dried sauces last for centuries. Beans stored in the Pyramids were found to be viable and good to eat. I've also shot Pre - WW II ammunition with 100% reliability, too.

Just some things to keep in mind.

- Joe -
Wiser Mining Through Many, Many Personal Mistakes (OOPS, "Personal Learning Situations")
Joe S (AK)

Previous

Return to General Prospecting