Evolution, From Dredging To Detecting

Any information related to prospecting

Moderators: russau, Leonard

Evolution, From Dredging To Detecting

Postby libertydave » Fri Dec 02, 2022 10:29 am

In recent years I've sold nearly all of my mechanical mining equipment and only my well worn 2" dredge/highbanker remains in pieces hanging on my shop walls. Next year I'll be eighty so I do not see much mechanical mining adventures in my future years. Beside the western "blue" states politicians have over-regulated small scale mining and liberal government officials in these states passed laws that prohibit using gold dredges within the steams and rivers. All of what I once so enjoyed is now gone.

My dear wife has suffered from my years of complaints so she went out and bought me a Minelab Gold Monster 1000 metal detector last spring and gave it to me for my birthday. I had lots of enjoyment learning the basics on how to use it and in the process of my detector adventures I found some nice (but small) gold in several WA locations that I had mined for nearly forty years. I even found some pieces of gold in the dredge tailings alongside of Swauk Creek up in Blewitt Pass.

In late August I drove down thru Oregon and Northern Calif. Camped in my little camp trailer alongside Umpqua and Illinois Rivers, enjoyed the wilderness scenery and recalled the memories of fun and experiences of DEF events two decades ago at Rivers West RV Park. Back in 2002 you could almost walk across the river on the number of dredges being used during DEF.

Also drove down into northern CA and spent a day breaking open cracks in the exposed bedrock along the banks of the Klamath River when I got a strong signal. Not a lot of gold recovered but still...it was a nice trip. Yearly highlights for me...getting that new gold detector and also receiving a new pacemaker/defibulator last month, batteries now good for another ten years. My heart Doctor said I have to keep the detector coil away from my medical device so it does not set off my heart alarm.

We'll see what 2023 brings.

Hey...I really miss the posts in this mining forum and I guess many of you have moved on. Still, thanks for sharing your stories and experiences. They were all good. All the best to you during the holidays.

Liberty Dave
libertydave

Re: Evolution, From Dredging To Detecting

Postby russau » Fri Dec 02, 2022 2:17 pm

That was a nice post Dave ! I'm sure we all have lots of storis like that also but just can't put it into works like you did ! Yep great memories for sure !! Lots of great people along the way!! I alos want to wish one and all a Merry Christmas and a happy New Year !
russau

Postby Jim_Alaska » Fri Dec 02, 2022 7:18 pm

Thanks for posting Dave. We are all getting to that point, some faster than others. I always figured that when the time came that I could no longer actually do some sort of mining, I could always detect...NOT SO. I turn 80 in 4 days, but have had severe neuropathy in my legs and feet. Even with forearm crutches I can't detect, or even negotiate uneven ground.

My only mining now is done from the computer.
Jim_Alaska
Property and Mining Rights Advocate
Klamath River, California
foley4086@gmail.com
Jim_Alaska

Postby golden optimist » Sat Dec 03, 2022 9:30 am

Glad to get you up and running Dave.

Over the years I have had the good fortune to hang out around a campfire together with almost all of the forum. I have been truly blessed. We need to remember these times.
Leonard
golden optimist
Site Admin

Postby libertydave » Sun Dec 04, 2022 1:18 pm

Wishing you a Happy 80th Birthday, Jim. All the best and cheers.

Liberty Dave
libertydave

Postby Joe S (AK) » Sun Dec 04, 2022 3:06 pm

Jim - 80! :o Naaah - go back and check that - I think you made a mistake.

Leonard, I don't have any of those " ... 'round the campfire" memories - but that time you posted our picture using WiFi (I never had even heard about such a thing) onto Jim's forum using just your cell phone -- now, back then, THAT was eye-opening amazing to me. :o :o :o

Joe
Wiser Mining Through Many, Many Personal Mistakes (OOPS, "Personal Learning Situations")
Joe S (AK)

Postby Jim_Alaska » Mon Dec 05, 2022 4:15 pm

Joe S (AK) wrote:Jim - 80! :o Naaah - go back and check that - I think you made a mistake.
Joe

December 6, 1942 No mistake, wish it were.
Jim_Alaska
Property and Mining Rights Advocate
Klamath River, California
foley4086@gmail.com
Jim_Alaska

Postby Joe S (AK) » Mon Dec 05, 2022 7:47 pm

11 December, 1946, just after midnight - and I'm certain 'cause the Doc wrote it down on a piece of paper. :roll: :lol:

Joe
Wiser Mining Through Many, Many Personal Mistakes (OOPS, "Personal Learning Situations")
Joe S (AK)

Postby Bonaro » Sun Feb 05, 2023 12:48 am

Dave, I could not write a better story of my own situation. I have $10k in dredging gear in the shop that I cant use and plan to wholesale it off to whoever will buy it this spring. I waited as long as I could but it's obvious that dredging is a long gone passion. I deeply miss the hours of hard but peaceful work underwater. I also have turned to detecting to fill the voids and have even condisered hard rock, but that is labor intensive and I would have to get all new gear.
I often encounter people who enjoy hearing about how it use to be...I'm just sad that it will never be again.
We were the Rockstar's of the era. We learned it, we conquered it and we loved it. We are the ones they will talk about in years to come.
Bonaro

Return to General Prospecting