KLAMATH TRIBAL DISPUTE

Politically oriented information, blasts, kudo's for politician’s (probably won't be many of those)

Moderators: russau, Leonard

KLAMATH TRIBAL DISPUTE

Postby old gold miner » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:33 am

Klamath tribal dispute

http://www.klamathbasincrisis.org/tribe ... 021810.htm

Faction: Hold off signing KBRA
Group says tribal leaders were recalled, shouldn’t sign water deal

By LEE JUILLERAT, Herald and News 2/18/10
CHILOQUIN — A group of tribal members who claim they recalled current leaders of the Klamath Tribes asked the Bureau of Indian Affairs that those leaders not be allowed to sign the Klamath Basin Restoration Agreement today in Salem.
Gary Frost, who identified himself as the new Tribes chairman, wrote in a letter to BIA deputy director Mike Smith that the tribal council has been instructed by the tribe’s general council “to postpone signing any agreement that was initiated by the removed Tribal Council.” The landmark restoration agreement, which aims to resolve water disputes in the Klamath River Basin, will be signed at 10 a.m. today in the Oregon State Capitol rotunda.

The Klamath Tribes last month voted to support the agreement.
Joe Kirk, chairman of the disputed tribal council, could not be contacted Wednesday to comment on whether the Tribes planned to sign the Klamath Basin Restoration Agreement in Salem this morning.

He issued a press release Wednesday disputing claims of the opposition group. (See related story.)
Among those attending signings ceremonies will be Secretary of the Interior Ken Salazar and Oregon Gov. Ted Kulongoski.

Letter to officials
“The Klamath Tribes realize that there was a referendum vote that was passed by the Klamath tribal membership, but the manner in which this was done, as well as the authority for the issuance of the ballots for this agreement, is in question,” Frost claimed in his letter to BIA officials.

“Due to these exigent circumstances, the Klamath Tribes will not be signing the agreement until the Tribal Council and General Council review all actions taken by the removed Tribal Council members to ensure that they were in accordance with the Klamath Tribes laws and guidelines,” he wrote.
The vote for the Klamath Basin Restoration Agreement and Klamath Hydroelectric Settlement Agreement passed 700-139, according to a tribal member.

Frost said the Tribes’ general council Saturday affirmed a Nov. 21 recall of seven tribal council members.

Klamath Falls, Oregon (AP) Feb. 2010

Klamath County Sheriff Tim Evinger had to be called in to resolve a dispute at the Klamath Tribes’ court.

The court was scheduled to hold a hearing on February 2nd on a lawsuit filed by tribal members who say they legally removed the Tribes’ current council in November.

But tribal officials say the contract for the tribes’ only judge has expired. When she arrived to hear the lawsuit, she was reported for trespassing.

The sheriff held an hour-long mediation that ended with the judge recusing herself from the case. Another tribal judge will be sought.

The Herald and News reports that the incident is the latest chapter in a fight between two political factions seeking to gain control of tribal government.
old gold miner

Re: KLAMATH TRIBAL DISPUTE

Postby eightymesh » Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:38 am

they have circled the wagons .... but are shooting inwards :shock:

may all their bullets fly straight and true :mrgreen:
"As long as I am an American citizen and American blood runs in these veins I shall hold myself at liberty to speak, to write, and to publish whatever I please on any subject." – Elijah Parish Lovejoy (1802-1837)
eightymesh

Postby tommyknocker » Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:31 am

Klamath Basin Restoration Agreement and Klamath Hydroelectric Settlement Agreement

I wonder if and how these "agreements" will affect all the other residents of the Klamath area, or are they only agreements among the different tribes...

Tom
tommyknocker

Postby old gold miner » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:48 am

old gold miner

Postby CalGoldDredger » Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:56 pm

Yep they are never happy, never will be.

Lets just see what becomes of this now that a partial resignation of the "outlaw bunch".
CalGoldDredger

Postby tommyknocker » Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:41 pm

Thanks for the link...After reading through the summaries I could comment for days. It would be just too much negativity. Sounds like a noble endeavor...Talk is cheap.

Yikes...this is not one-sided is it? :shock:
Non-Governmental Organizations
American Rivers
California Trout
Friends of the River
Institute for Fisheries Resources
National Center for Conservation Science and Policy
Northern California/Nevada Council Federation of Fly Fishers
Pacific Coast Federation of Fishermen’s Associations
Salmon River Restoration Council
Trout Unlimited
tommyknocker