Where has everyone gone?

Step Up and Exercise Your First Amendment Rights Here!

Moderators: russau, Leonard

Re: Where has everyone gone?

Postby russau » Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:17 pm

my head is real dizzy now from all that putor talk! you know , this computer stuff is just a passing fad and is going to go back to the paper and pencil type of hard drive! :roll:
russau

Postby Hoser John » Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:12 am

Appreciate yet another route D :D Now what ya going to do now that microsoft has officially admitted to killing 8 for some new program.....sic sic game,getting to be like cars as to be "in style" ya MUST get another one every other year hahaha...give me ol'school everyday. Russ your right as in the law library for hours daily with a pen,pencil and paper as of the first the &^%$# CDFG has wiped out legal stats and much info now hidden to cripple any use of their own facts/figures against them hahahaha now what ol'fart would do that :roll: John :ugeek:
Hoser John

Postby dickb » Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:03 am

I'm happy with the conversion to Win 8.1, but the way they did it really angered me. I'm really surprised that there has not been a class action suit filed by XP users that have been denied lifetime lease rights to use the OS. I can see where they say they will no longer support the program, but by killing the program many folks that didn't have the funds to go out and but new 64 bit computer systems found themselves unable the use the OS that they current had and were using. Big windfall to the manufactures and software providers, but the small users really got the shaft as I see it. Plus, the government just let them do it without even a whimper.

A lot of folks lost lots of data if they didn't have it backed up or stored on a second drive that didn't have the OS on it as primary drive. First thing I did was turn off automatic updates and now I keep my old 32 bit computer off of the internet.

I hope you get a way to recover those data files and photos. There is much value locked up on those hard disks.

Dickb
77 Retired and Free
Eastern Iowa
dickb

Postby Bradrock » Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:03 pm

We lost most everything we had to hurricane Charley in 04. Wife said never again & we moved to Missouri. It's taken this long to sort of get back on our feet. At my age we never will recover financially.
Getting the itch to move some dirt again.
I also noticed the defunct websites. At least the best one is still here.
How about Golddredgehog? He used to give me some decent prices.
Or the Dredge earth first group?

All the best, Brad
Bradrock

Postby russau » Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:15 pm

Welcome Bradrock! what part of Misery do you live in? Im from St.Louis. the Dredge Earth First group has passed like all good things several years back! It was fun while it lasted! But the Washington State clubs have continued to carry the DEF ideas! SALUTE! have you joined any clubs in Misery? I highly recommend the Show Me Gold club from K.C. Misery they have two websites , one at http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/moprospectors/ and their main info site is at http://www.showmegold.org they are a active and very good people! and like I said , WELCOME to Golddredger !
russau

Postby Bradrock » Fri Jan 30, 2015 3:25 pm

We're at Alton & NOT the one by you! Way down near West Plains on the ARK. border.
Have not joined any clubs here due to health & busy fixing up the 20 acre farm & crappy old house we bought.
After 20 years in Florida it sure is nice to have NO building permits or codes or zoning! Most free I've felt in a long time!
We were at the DEF rally in Ga. My memory got scrambled in the hurricane & has never been the same.
I do remember Matt & Leonard & Who's pickup crashed the gate ?
Also met some guys the first weeks the Buchannan properties opened to GPAA. I think that's a bad word here if I remember?
But when I grow up I still want to be a REAL miner. Heh...Heh
Been thinking about running down near Hot Springs to dig some Quartz crystals just to get muddy. :)
Bradrock

Postby russau » Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:44 pm

Yep I was there for the 2003 rally in Georgia also. that was/is Wally Franz from MI that had the altercation with the gate. Years back I made a "Wally Gate Award" and placed it in front of Wallys trailer while we were up in Wyoming. everyone got a good laugh over it! Wally probly pitched it by now!
russau

Postby Gold Seeker » Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:58 pm

I'm not sure I understand what it being talked about concerning an XP OS computer being disabled via updates, I run XP OS on this computer and haven't had any issues with it being disabled through any updates, not that I have been able to get any XP updates for some time now, it works as well as it ever did and I'm online with this computer all the time, am I missing something here?
Skip P.

God, Family, Friends, and Gold!!!
Gold Seeker

Postby dickb » Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:50 pm

Hi Skip:

You probably don't have automatic updates turned on. Microsoft stopped supporting the XP operating system last year when they brought the new 64 bit Windows 8.0. It takes a processor on the motherboard to handle the new HD format and XP is a 32 bit operating system. Most folks didn't have a computer that could handle the 64 bit new system and needed to buy both new computer and new software. OFFICE 2013 has been patched to operate on 8.0 but I was able to use my Office 2010 program. So I found myself in the position to either buy a new computer to Run 8.0 or loose the security features that Microsoft offered for XP. Which I did. BUT, I have cad software worth bucks that would cost me more bucks to upgrade, So I kept my Dell With XP so my large format printer and cad software will still work. But I would have to buy Norton or another security softhware to protect it if I was online with it. I choose not to do that . There next new and great idea is the cloud and Microsoft 360 which is a monthly rent to use system. Think cell phone contracts here.
I have heard but not experienced it, that MS is now sending out shut it down commands to validated software users to stop the XP program from working. I got my XP off of the internet before that happened, and that is what John is talking about having his computer go down. I think he can retrieve those files by putting the hard drives in a external HD case and setting them as slaves. That way he can go back in and get those trapped files. I don't think they are deleted, but the operating software will not boot up for him so he can't retrieve those files and photos.
Lesson is to keep you files backed up and in duplicate for your own protection. I personally will not use the cloud, because I don't want my files out there where anything or something can happen to them. Think Credit card fraud.

JMHO

Dickb
77 Retired and Free
Eastern Iowa
dickb

Postby Gold Seeker » Sat Jan 31, 2015 7:49 am

Thanks for the explanation Dick, that's more or less what I was assuming, I don't have MS updates disabled and knew that no more updates were coming, but it appears that at least one more maybe in the future, I have the updates set to not install updates unless I approve the updates first but I will be disabling the updates just in case, I do have good a virus program installed, I will also be doing more backups as a precaution.

I also will never put any my info/files in a "Cloud", what a joke that the sheeples are lining up to give it all up to "progress" e.g. population control/surveillance, IMHO, not to mention as you said, hacking!!
Skip P.

God, Family, Friends, and Gold!!!
Gold Seeker

PreviousNext

Return to Soapbox