Can't Stop Chasing Gold

Step Up and Exercise Your First Amendment Rights Here!

Moderators: russau, Leonard

Can't Stop Chasing Gold

Postby libertydave » Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:53 pm

Now in my mid seventies, retired and enjoying my remaining days at a more leisurely pace.

In my senior years I've sold all my mining equipment. Also sold my equipment supply business. I only have a couple of classifying screens, a snuffer bottle and some gold pans, also a Gold Cube.

Sold all my dredges, high-bankers, engines, compressors, wetsuits, air systems, winches and all the dredging support gear I've used for so many years. It is all gone. Yup, no more tossing coobles or climbing into cold, damp wetsuits. No more aches and pain on this overused and aging body. Even cleaned out my shop/garage so I could park my old truck indoors. Decided to let those much younger chase after the gold. Yup, all done gold mining. Only look forward to a couple of days each year of camping, swapping old stories with good friends, downing a few beers and enjoying evening around a campfire alongside a familiar mountain stream. Time now for reading and reflection on a life well lived.

So...last week I bought a small gold trommel. My wife thinks I'm nuts.

LD
libertydave

Re: Can't Stop Chasing Gold

Postby golden optimist » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:14 am

It's hard to let it all go but I have a lifetime of great memories and friends. I'm looking forward to spend a few days camping this year at Douglas Creek even if I end up sleeping in a tent. I haven't popped up the tent trailer for 4 years so don't know how it has survived.
Leonard
golden optimist
Site Admin

Postby russau » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:05 am

Leonard , I thought I was going to pull your pop-up to D.C. this year for you. I would be more than happy to do this for you!
russau

Postby golden optimist » Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:42 pm

We'll decide who tows it later. Either way shouldn't be any problem. The problem may be what the interior looks like. Should be ok but until I set it up in a couple of months I won't know.
Leonard
golden optimist
Site Admin

Postby russau » Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:54 pm

10-4 !
russau

Postby libertydave » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:19 am

Possibly acquiring a small feeder to accompany my new trommel.

There's a small creek up here in WA Cascade Mountains that has fine gold in the upper benches above stream flow. Bedrock is about 8 inches down through compacted gravel overburden. All you seasoned gold miners out there who also have retired...anyone plan on chasing some gold (camping) in 2018? Leonard...could you please again post that amazing photo from the DEF Outing with all the dredges lined up on the Umpqua River. Brings a tear to my eyes. Thanks!

LD
libertydave

Postby Hoser John » Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:49 am

I have finally giving up for awhile and selling all my dredges and claims. Still detect, sluice etc but just a long lost dream now....but what memories-John
Hoser John

Postby Matt Mattson » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:41 am

libertydave wrote:Possibly acquiring a small feeder to accompany my new trommel.

John Deere? Massey Ferguson makes reasonably priced small one too . . . (just trying to help your wife not doing all that shoveling - (you can tell her this for me and avoid the frying pan).

Did you get or make one of those hand crank trommels? In our case that will probably be the last thing that goes out the door before we quit. Love the thing. Easy on the back.

We made a video awhile back with it:

https://youtu.be/YxuPCULLE0g

Hope to see you again Dave.
Matt Mattson

Postby libertydave » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:59 am

Hi Matt, Thanks for your reply. Hope you're well.

The small trommel I purchased is made by a Montana company, Gold Fox USA. They also make a feeder. If you want to see it google their website for some photos of their products. Nice little unit, good design and very well made. Cheers!

LD
libertydave

Postby golden optimist » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:54 am

libertydave wrote:Possibly acquiring a small feeder to accompany my new trommel.

There's a small creek up here in WA Cascade Mountains that has fine gold in the upper benches above stream flow. Bedrock is about 8 inches down through compacted gravel overburden. All you seasoned gold miners out there who also have retired...anyone plan on chasing some gold (camping) in 2018? Leonard...could you please again post that amazing photo from the DEF Outing with all the dredges lined up on the Umpqua River. Brings a tear to my eyes. Thanks!

LD

I'm having trouble finding it but here's some pictures at this link. http://golddredger.com/cgi-bin/dcforum/ ... e=threaded

Thats from the old forum at http://golddredger.com/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboard.cgi

There's quite a few years of fun and memories there.
Leonard
golden optimist
Site Admin

Next

Return to Soapbox