Fire's in America

Step Up and Exercise Your First Amendment Rights Here!

Moderators: russau, Leonard

Fire's in America

Postby russau » Sat Jul 16, 2022 5:23 am

Well due to the fire's and common sense ,checking or replacing your spark arrester in your engine is a VERY SMART thing to do !! I noticed a article in our news paper that the Missouri (Misery) DNR is checking things and I'd hate to be cited for something as simple as checking for blocked or a bad spark arrester ! citations aren't cheap ! Because of these fire's across our Country ,these Federal and State employees figured out how to justify their jobs ..........Not that this is a problem with most people that own / operate engines on public land BUT I always included this in my preparations for getting my equipment ready to travel. I hope everyone else does also ! :D
russau

Re: Fire's in America

Postby Joe S (AK) » Sat Jul 16, 2022 3:21 pm

Russ,

Spark arresters (or spark arrestors) are something I never have considered as anything other than a government attempt to pretend to perpetuate "Safety for Your Own Good." In theory stopping accidental fires is, of course, a good thing. However, to be quite practical, how many fires are started every year from spark producing engines? Compare that to Un-"Controlled Burns", Arson, Pyromania and all the other fires caused by humans.

How about all those non spark arrested / designed cars, trucks, motor cycles, chain saws and ATVs as well as other diesel and gasoline engine powered pieces of equipment like a genset? How many actual fires do these "Fire Breathing Monsters" generate in a year from sparks? I think we'd all be hard pressed to find even one. Think back over the years and try to recall in your mind's eye if you have ever seen any spark coming from any of the engines you've used. I certainly haven't seen even one. A car or truck would be the only possibility that I can imagine and it would certainly be one of those "Cold day in .... " time frames. It just never happens with the engines we have and use - especially if they are tuned correctly.

Of all the causes of fires that I can recall there was one in Alaska caused by stupid people abandoning a burning fire, a couple from power lines and, of course, the famous USFS and DNR un"controlled burns" Yes, there are probably some from car wrecks and such --- but spark arrestors? Lightning yes, sparks, no.

The "New and Improved" gas cans sometimes have flame arrestors in them - to maybe offset the stupidity of leaving gas cans next to a hot lawnmower (with fuel spilled everywhere). Yeah - having an ignited fuel spill from a backfiring lawnmower could work itself back into an OPTIMALLY mixed air / fuel mix inside a just emptied can. But, with too high a % of fuel vapors inside the can and even that wouldn't burn.

No, even though the Forest Service says they are a real necessity I'm hard pressed to see the real, demonstrated need for them. Maybe I'm wrong but .............................................

Joe
Wiser Mining Through Many, Many Personal Mistakes (OOPS, "Personal Learning Situations")
Joe S (AK)

Postby russau » Sun Jul 17, 2022 12:29 am

Joe I gotta agree with you on this and point well taken ! BUT this gives them added fuel to stop prospecting and mining because of their GREEN AGENDA ! and I expect to see many more citations popping up in the near future because of it ! ESSPECCIALY CLOSE TO CITES / PEOPLE !
russau

Postby Joe S (AK) » Sun Jul 17, 2022 7:01 am

Yes, Russ, I certainly agree.

The way "things" seem to be shaping up it's looking a bit better with these mid-terms coming. It really seems to be a shifting of support toward a better political climate for miners as a benefit for (as my dad used to say) "Kicking the bums out". Only time will tell but it does seem that the shift is on.

Do take care - you're such a fragile cuss and all. :lol: .

Joe
Wiser Mining Through Many, Many Personal Mistakes (OOPS, "Personal Learning Situations")
Joe S (AK)

Postby russau » Sun Jul 17, 2022 12:09 pm

HA HA HA !
russau

Return to Soapbox