Need help locating and filing a claim

Information on how-to-file, important dates, and any other claim related information

Moderators: russau, Leonard

Need help locating and filing a claim

Postby jason » Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:10 pm

Hey all, I have read everything I can read about the subject and I have been dumb enough to buy a claim off Craigslist and Ebay and they both were scams. I new craigslist was iffy, but the guy seemed nice and he showed me the claim and I tested it out at a few spots and then he handed me what looked to be legit papers but they weren't. So a few years later I went to eBay and I figured with 800+ positive feedback on Ebay that it would not be a scam but when it came time to renew my claim I found out 4 other people had claimed it as well or something to that effect so now I am claimless. (this as of Sept 2013)

Would anyone here have any time to walk me through it, I would gladly pay for your time if you could help me out. I have a 4x4 so off the beaten path would be nice. I live in the Bay Area (Concord) and would prefer something no more than 4-5 hour drive. I plan to use a trommel and bobcat at the claim. So if anyone is looking for a claim for themselves and don't mind having me tag along to learn the ropes I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks a bunch!
Jason
jason

Re: Need help locating and filing a claim

Postby Hoser John » Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:37 am

You plan to use a WHAT in kalif on a claim. You'll need at least a Plan of Operation,public review,reclaimation bond,specific performance bond,water removal permit,water return discharge permit, at least $30,000 in fees and if the environutz come to the public comment period meeting your in deeeeeeeeeeep crappola anyhow. Takes about 2-5 years for permits,inspections and reviews. Up here in Shasta /trinity county there are a dozen projects been trying-just gravel ops=NO CHEMICALS,for over 10 years now and once going get shut down as environutz monitor noise,dust blah blah blah and snitch ya out.Or go rogue and pay millions in fines like that fella outta Placerville. Sic sic sic situation as the nation grapples with the worst shortage of strategic minerals in our history. Read my post on Indonesia. Buy the mineral claim book from BLM and as you've seen ,NEVER buy a claim. Great dream,wrong state.John
Hoser John

Postby jason » Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:21 pm

Well I might not of read it correctly but I will be "sampling" some areas on my claim occasionally...

A plan of operations under this subpart is not required for—

(a) Searching for and occasionally removing mineral samples or specimens;

I don't own a trommel yet anyways, I just have access to the bobcat right now. I do want to highbank for now until I do get the trommel.

It would be a weekend or a thursday friday kinda thing when I had the time.

Soooo if anyone can help me locate and file a claim without scamming me would be awesome!!
jason

Postby Hoser John » Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:09 am

The hp utilized on the equipment OF ANY SIZE is the point,in the deserts for just one example the mojave under BLM 8 hp "was"(sold gangbanger drywasher and backhoe because of this bs) the max allowed. You may be sampling but it don't mean squat if the hp violates the letter of the law. Don't shoot the messenger as just trying to keep ya from a huge mistake. Even a small backhoe sends'm into a hissy fit anymore--legal LL no but don't stop the ungodly harrasement. Google SMARA for exact info. under surface mining and reclaimation act. I've dropped dozens of claims over this issue over the years as without much bigger equipment it's just not economically viable. GO elsewhere as much more miner friendly.....John
Hoser John

Postby jason » Thu Feb 13, 2014 6:19 pm

Thanks for the info John,
Sorry it took so long to get back but I searched the Smara you mentioned and it was quite extensive. I had to read it 3 times to get it to partially sink in. Ha.

But what I did find was this tidbit. "Any mining operation that does not involve either the removal of a total of more than 1,000 cubic yards of minerals, ores, and overburden, or involve more than one acre in any one location, shall be exempt from the provisions of the Act."

So I was talking to someone about a 3yph trommel they had for sale at a garage sale I was at and it will take 333 hours for me to move 1000 cy. Considering I would only get about 100 hours a year I think I could have fun for a few years.

Now I just need to find a mining claim I can get to with my 4x4 pulling a trommel.
jason

Postby Hoser John » Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:02 am

8-) I definately congratulate you on caring enough to read that lousy long mandate multiple times. Still bumbs me out you got screwed though :? Needless to say don't try to buy again but go out and look in places where golds been found before and look for signs,no signs then claim and be sure to take down from claim signs-Claim name,owners CAMC # and then ez to check to see if abandoned. Then that BLM manual on line will guide or just post here and these great folks will chime in and try to assist in your golden dream-respect-John
Hoser John

Postby jason » Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:06 am

It was quite lousy. And boring. Ha. But I'm trying to learn and will keep this with me just in case.
And I appreciate you pointing me in the right direction.
Yes, I won't be buying any online anymore. It only took me 2 times to learn ha.

Again, thanks for the help.

Jason
jason

Postby Hoser John » Sun Jun 15, 2014 5:33 am

This is the very reason the founder of the feast-Leonard leeper- has spent so much time and cash on this website. To assist and try to help folks from making expensive and deadly mistakes,share knowledge(good/bad) and bsn' with the CCC. Don't thank me--thank him as he's the founder- :D John
Hoser John

Return to Mining Claims Information