Lode vs placer claims

Information on how-to-file, important dates, and any other claim related information

Moderators: russau, Leonard

Lode vs placer claims

Postby ForestWalker » Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:13 pm

I've been spending hours on geocommunicaitor and google earth and geochemical sample databases looking for spots to prospect. I found a likely spot with lots of lode claims around it but was wondering what the practical difference between lode and placer claims was.

Can a person go and pan/sluice on a lode claim? Seems like the would be claiming the hard rock and not the placer deposits. Or does a lode claim (not being worked) entitle the owner to everything on the land they claimed?
ForestWalker

Re: Lode vs placer claims

Postby WildernessAU » Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:30 am

From what I understand, if the ground has a lode claim you must obtain written permission from the claim holder to locate a placer, and vice versa.
WildernessAU

Postby Hoser John » Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:40 am

I don't care what the law says-ifn' claimed either way you be a much happier and LIVE miner to stay off someone elses claim be it lode or placer. Lots a folks under dirt who didn't,right or wrong don't matter to the expired-John
Hoser John

Postby CalGoldDredger » Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:03 am

And if that doesn't get you shot then the information on the Geocommunicator will...just a warning.
Bout as accurate as the facts the greenies are trying to use against us.
CalGoldDredger

Postby ForestWalker » Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:28 am

No joke I wouldn't do it even if you guys had said it was legal because it seems so sketchy. I take the mini-14 with me sometimes (since the same area is good for cracking off a few for fun) but that's hard to lug around in the bush with sluice and shovel in hand.

People in northern NH were so much more cordial about being on their land and I loved the no sign no crime general rule there. I miss being able to hike up streams legally to cross private land to get to the public land beyond.

I was just on geocommunicaitor and it had a pop-up that said it was being phased out and replaced I think. You'd think they'd digitize all the records, seems crazy not to get it all in one massive GIS file for each county, think how much easier and more useful that would be.
ForestWalker

Postby CalGoldDredger » Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:37 pm

yah, had to go check out that pop-up that you mentioned on Geocommunicator.

At the very bottom of the pop-up, I trust you read:

Please read the DOI disclaimer for more information.

The complete text of this disclaimer is available at:
http://www.geocommunicator.gov/GeoComm/GC_disclaimer.shtm
CalGoldDredger

Postby ForestWalker » Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:48 pm

Ohh I know, seems like whenever geocommunicaitor is mentioned on any forum someone cries out that its the devil and not accurate lol.

Need to hit the books down in town tomorrow.
ForestWalker

Postby Hoser John » Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:36 am

All I see is caring folks just trying to keep the uninformed out of danger??? If NH is soooooooo righteous return!!!John ;)
Hoser John

Postby ForestWalker » Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:38 pm

Hoser John wrote:All I see is caring folks just trying to keep the uninformed out of danger??? If NH is soooooooo righteous return!!!John ;)

Sry just bitching because it was a little easier, my bad. The 10x more gold here and the vastness of the country here more than makes up for it. Two other people in my family from New England moved to CO and never looked back, I shouldn't either.
ForestWalker

Return to Mining Claims Information