Dad's losing his marbles.

Information on how-to-file, important dates, and any other claim related information

Moderators: russau, Leonard

Dad's losing his marbles.

Postby Plumas » Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:55 am

Need some advice.

My father and I have co-owned a claim for several years. Now in his mid 80's Dad seems to be losing it. Last year as always, I mailed him a copy of the maintenance fee waver certification form for his signature. Even stuck one of those plastic "sign here" stickers where he needed to sign the form right under my signature.

Well, he signed it all right... in five different places... One of them was directly above my signature! Sadly it seems my father is no longer competent enough to complete his share of the paperwork requirements. I called him up to talk about it and he became really defensive and I was quickly sorry that I'd called. The writing is on the wall. Before long he will be unable to hold up his end.

The claim was filed on his birthday and I know he'd be deeply offended if I asked him to sign a quit claim deed and transfer his interest in the claim over to me. So I'm left wondering what I should do.

What do people do when a partner becomes so incompetent they can no longer complete their share of the annual paperwork filing?

Plumas
Ah ain't no flatlander!
Plumas

Re: Dad's losing his marbles.

Postby Geo-George » Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:48 am

If you can get power of attorney, he can stay on the claim but you can sign for him.
I have done so much, with so little, for so long, that I am now qualified to do anything with nothing.
Now, I just have to find the time to put the dang thing together.
Geo-George

Postby Hoser John » Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:53 am

BAD situation as pride always goes last. He can assign you the right to sign and the BLM manual does have codified language to address this nasty problem as incompetance in us ol' miners is a problem. Just wait for a lucid moment and strike whilst the irons hot with paperwork in hand and waiting for the right moment. Show him the mistakes then and get it done.Living trusts and power of attorneys are another great example of avenues and a new one has arisen called a TOTEN TRUST that I'm trying to study now too... Your a good son to have so much reguard for your pops--respect-John
Hoser John

Postby CalGoldDredger » Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:17 am

I feel for you, plumas. I go through that all the time now with my dad too. It must be real tough to get old and even tougher for those around them to watch.
CalGoldDredger

Postby CGC Miner » Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:15 am

Tough situation, sounds like it would be best to keep your dad happy and on the claim. You could print out a form explaining how the power of attorney works. He will still be a valid claimant and have equal rights and share to the claim. Basically you will be signing for him and all other claimants to avoid having to send the paperwork every time wasting 2+ weeks and possibly loosing the paper work. Logistically it makes sense.
If I were you I would use the term "designated agent". This is easy to do but you will have to get the document and your signatures notarized. Try to do it at a familiar place like his bank.
Best of luck and Happy New Year!
CGC
GET OUT and GET SOME! http://www.coloradogoldcamp.com
CGC Miner

Postby russau » Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:50 pm

Heck it aint nothing to get shookup about! i lost my marbels years ago!
russau

Postby Leonard » Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:17 pm

I'll attest to that! I'm right behind him though. Thats the bad part.
Leonard
Leonard

Postby fatbob » Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:46 pm

I know how you feel my dad ended up stuck on the rr tracts with a train coming he was lucky they had just enough room to stop, 3am stuck on the tracks in his car a couple of hours away from his house.........tough to tell someone thier brain aint working no more, wish you luck on that deal plumas......Rob.
fatbob

Postby Nitro 54 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:32 am

I had to go the Power of Attorney route with my own Dad.. Good luck
Whites GMT, DFX, M6
GMS Highbanker
Nitro 54

Postby Hoser John » Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:53 am

:evil: In kalif ,the land of insanity,there is a new law on the books now that the MDs got through the legislature with plenty of $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. ALL FOLKS 70+ MUST SUBMIT TO A ANNUAL DOCTORS EXAM AND TESTING TO GET A TEMP 1 YEAR LICENSE!!!!!! and a $1,000+++ fine ifn' ya don't :twisted: :shock:
Hoser John

Next

Return to Mining Claims Information