GeoCommunicator has been neutered

Information on how-to-file, important dates, and any other claim related information

Moderators: russau, Leonard

GeoCommunicator has been neutered

Postby OKJohn » Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:42 am

I can only imagine the politics of "why", but mining claim information has been removed from the GeoCommunicator system. Here is the release:

GeoCommunicator Web Site Notice
February 24, 2011

The Bureau of Land Management (BLM) has determined the need to change the services and data provided from the GeoCommunicator website. Some services and information previously provided will no longer be hosted by GeoCommunicator, however, might still be obtained from the respective BLM State Offices governing the subject lands or area. You are encouraged to either visit the websites associated with the hyperlinks or to contact the appropriate data manager or administrator from the following list for further information or availability.

It sure was nice while it was available. LR 2000 still works.

OKJohn
OKJohn

Re: GeoCommunicator has been neutered

Postby russau » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:51 am

John i beleive its a giant conspirecy of somesort!:)
russau

Postby CalGoldDredger » Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:10 pm

There is a god, and I do thank him. Now I can sleep better knowing that piece of inacurate crap is shutdown.

1/2 of my family's claims were not listed or shown on the Geocomm due to PLSS Survey Status and many others were in the same boat. So Good Riddins' !!!!! :D
CalGoldDredger

Postby russau » Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:49 am

very good point John!!
russau

Postby OKJohn » Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:05 pm

The record in Colorado has always been very complete, although sometimes a few months out-of-date. It was a major help. I suppose this will make it harder for people to find claimable land - which is a good thing.

Its a shame that Calif never put the effort into keeping it accurate. I bet the CA BLM happily took the federal money for the program. And for that reason - I agree with you to just shut it down. If we could get rid of all the government programs that are not administered properly, we... Forget it. It would still just be a tiny drop in the bucket toward our debt.

OKJohn
OKJohn

Postby CalGoldDredger » Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:34 pm

OKJohn- Nothing to do with effort on the part of the BLM they won't plot out claims on the Geocomm mapping software for any sections that have not been surveyed under PLSS so the accuracy was just fine for what was there but they did not show claims on unsurveyed sections. Which gets folks to thinking that it is open and here in the rugged Seirra there are plenty of unsurveyed sections. And lots of complaints to the BLM I am sure of this.

I was in contact with the BLM when this whole Geocomm started and all they had to ofer for the concerns of me and the others was a stupid disclaimer tucked away in small printed stating the inaccuracy and convering their arses.

I was overwhelmed with sheer happiness when they announced they were pulling the mining claims from the Geocomm. Whoohoooo. :D :D
Something good has finally happened and now I hope it keeps rolling as I wait to see where Cal's suction dredging propgram is a heading. LL :evil:
CalGoldDredger

Postby OKJohn » Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:25 pm

Okay. Now I see what you are talking about. I own several claims that are defined by metes and bounds, and they were never fully illustrated in GeoCommunicator. It generally overestimates the area covered by claims (to the nearest quarter-quarter section), so I always found it scared off more people than it gave false hope of open land.

An interesting side-note. When I went to the court house to gather all the valid claim certs and draw them myself, I found that most claims were drawn improperly with boundaries that would not close and so forth. Comparing the claim map held by the BLM to the written certs was often pretty comical. It would seem that the BLM will allow anyone to claim just about anything. The test comes when someone claims over you and you have to decide if your claim cert will stand in court. Many done in M&B (at least in Colorado) are pretty dubious.

OKJohn

EDIT: After re-reading your message. You are saying they did not plot ANY claims on un-surveyed sections. I had never seen that issue before. It took a few back-and-forths, but NOW I think I understand your idea. 'Nuff said.
OKJohn

Postby Hoser John » Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:22 am

Folks who claim off of old maps are also a HUGE problem for accuracy. Throughout the years as technology has advanced the USGS has redone the map series many times. With each redo the accuracy improves and the lines shift considerably on T/R/S and the older the map utilized, the worse off the claim lines are,as much as a half mile!! Always look on the maps for print dates as this has caused MUCH trouble to many--including me on several claims. It happens and nuttn' perfect in this short ride called life. John
Hoser John

Return to Mining Claims Information