Redding area Colder than Alaska

Any information related to prospecting

Moderators: russau, Leonard

Redding area Colder than Alaska

Postby Hoser John » Mon Nov 30, 2015 6:51 am

A record cold snap continued across Northern California on Sunday, including more below-zero temperature readings.

According to the National Weather Service, it was actually colder in Alturas, Calif., the seat of Modoc County in the far northeastern corner California, than it was in Barrow, Alaska, which lies above the Arctic Circle and is the northernmost city in the United States. Alturas registered minus-3 degrees, while Barrow recorded 3 degrees above zero. It was even colder in Alturas on Saturday -- minus-5, breaking a record set in 1931 -- and that was warmer than one spot in California, in the Lassen National Forest east of Redding, which checked in at minus-11.

California colder than Alaska? At 2am Alturas, California was -3 F, 6 degrees colder than Barrow, Alaska! #cawx pic.twitter.com/4AopdTMNsb
— NWS Sacramento (@NWSSacramento) November 29, 2015

The Sacramento Valley also saw record cold on Sunday morning. Stockton's low was 25 while Redding was 22. Both bested the lowest temperature for the day. The San Francisco Bay Area has also seen subfreezing temperatures.
Not the time to mine up here as icecycles on testicles hampers forward progress considerably. With 4 sets of clothes on detecting is no fun as who can bend over to retrieve finds......John :shock:

Here is a statewide look at the percentage of normal snow pack as of November 25th, courtesy of DWR. #cawx pic.twitter.com/p4pNPs3c6L
— NWS Hanford (@NWSHanford) November 29, 2015
Northern California has been hit by a series of cold winter storms over the last few weeks that have dumped heavy amounts of snow in the Sierra Nevada mountains. The snow and cold temperatures have been a boon for the ski industry, which has struggled through several years of drought
Hoser John

Re: Redding area Colder than Alaska

Postby russau » Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:20 pm

BRRRR!! and I guess theres NO skinny dipping in the springs like the Travel Channel shows say! ask Leonard about skinny dipping in Alaska!!
russau

Postby micropedes1 » Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:39 pm

I was camping in the upper reaches of the South Fork of the Salmon last week and can personally attest to the cold. It was so nasty up there that I had to wait for a bit of a thaw just to safely negotiate some of those cliff-hanger roads. First time that I have ever seen the water warmer than the air up there!!
micropedes1

Postby russau » Mon Nov 30, 2015 5:37 pm

That would sure make the coffee and breakfast taste great!
russau

Postby Hoser John » Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:30 am

:shock: SF Salmon :? ice on your arse for sure. Wrong time a year and getting MUCH colder with feets a snow they say come Wednesday and beyond. Winter seems to have finally found us BUT been there and done that so nuttn' for sure till the deal is done as less than 1/4 normal rain already....John
Hoser John

Postby russau » Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:46 am

BUT there wouldn't be any CFW sneaking up on you! :geek:
russau

Postby Ornery Cuss » Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:08 pm

Yep, the San Francisco bay area is cold, not in the thirties for us, like some, but cold.

Have a 3 million BTU boiler running just about full out keeping toes warm. :shock:
Glad I don't pay the PG&E bill. :shock: :shock:

Stay warm yall

OC
So much river...So little time
Ornery Cuss

Postby Hoser John » Wed Dec 02, 2015 7:19 am

:o FREE UTILITIES :shock: wow your lucky-John
Hoser John

Postby Ornery Cuss » Wed Dec 02, 2015 6:06 pm

Unfortunately that's at work, and it's aint my toes stayin warm.
In more moderate weather, heat load is down around 1 million BTUs.

Stay warm yall

OC
So much river...So little time
Ornery Cuss

Postby micropedes1 » Wed Dec 02, 2015 8:46 pm

Wasn't too worried about rangers. They woulda though we were nuts anyway with a generator and a washing machine floating the middle of the river in a flat bottom boat! But never expected it to snow that early.
micropedes1

Next

Return to General Prospecting